Premed 101 Forums

York AMCAS GPA Conversion

paheli

According to the sticky post, York's AMCAS GPA conversion scale is the following:

A+, A = 4.0

B+- 3.5

and so on....

York's AMCAS GPA conversion seems too good to be true.

I looked at the AMCAS conversion guide to see which scale matched York. Does York report grades on a scale of 0-9 on the transcript, or give grades. According to the AMCAS Canadian conversion guide, a 9=4.0=A+, an 8=3.7=A-, and so on. So which is the correct scale? Perhaps a recent AMCAS applicant who went to York can answer?

sticky post done by sonyvaio and he has claimed to have it confirmed by people who actually went through the process. He is reliable and I would trust him about it! and yeah it may seem too good to be true, but true nevertheless!

Sonyvaio's information is either wrong or no longer accurate (major bummer because those posted conversions are DEFINITELY amazing).

If you check the end of the sticky, I provided a link to the official published AMCAS conversion tables for Canadian institutions..and they turn out to be more in line with OMSAS conversions.

So ya, don't get too excited :)

Sonyvaio's information is either wrong or no longer accurate (major bummer because those posted conversions are DEFINITELY amazing).

If you check the end of the sticky, I provided a link to the official published AMCAS conversion tables for Canadian institutions..and they turn out to be more in line with OMSAS conversions.

So ya, don't get too excited :)

I saw the conversion table for Canadian schools set by AMCAS and my grades did not follow it at all. I know there are several different tables there for Canadian schools and my school's grading system didn't fall into any of them. In the end, my AMCAS GPA was exactly the same as what my cGPA was at my school. That being said, I'd go by what people say based on personal experience rather than what's published by AMCAS.

lol did Madz and KT give two different pieces of advice? i checked out the amcas thing i don't know what scale to follow!

also many of the scales are in fact relatively similar to omsas, some just really rewards people for many 80+'s.

Edit: ok KT i just checked the scale you posted in the sticky. You have an A- in there, but we don't have A - queens, in fact we don't have +/- at all. We have A, B, C, F, only. is the scale u posted what u implied as correct?

AMCAS doesn't boost everyone btw, many of my friends who had fairly low gpas got just the same cuz they had a lot of high 70s that became 3.0s in stead of 3.3s.

So I'm confused here...

According to the person who went to York, for each course, a letter grade is given, and GPA is measured on a 9 point scale. Now, how is the AMCAS grade calculated?

Is the York GPA out of 9 converted to an AMCAS GPA on a 4 point scale?

OR

Is each letter grade received at York assigned a grade point determined by AMCAS (out of 4), and then a GPA out of 4 is calculated? If yes, does it work this way:

A+, A = 4.0

B+ = 3.33 or 3.5???? (what is it)

and so on...

Is this scale above correct??

OR

Is each letter grade received at York assigned a York grade point for a particular letter grade at York, and for that York grade point, there is a corresponding AMCAS grade point out of 4? So for example:

If someone at York got an A (83%), which is an 8 at York, AMCAS would convert the 8 to a 3.7.

So does this mean that somebody at York who gets 87% in a course ends up with a 3.7??? This conversion method seems a bit odd too me since York does not report individual grades on a scale of 0-9, but rather as letter grades. I think the AMCAS table with the 0-9 grading scheme refers to University of Alberta (where grades are given on a scale of 0-9).

I was looking at this document:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

On page 3, under the heading "Grading System Type: Five or more passing grades, alpha with +/-", look at the 4th white row (going down the page), with the grading scheme:

A+, A B+ B C+ C D+ D F (its hard to copy and paste)

Is seems to closely resemble York grading system (although York has an E grade, and AMCAS doesn't). York University grading system is the following:

http://www.yorku.ca/rocal/calendars/2003-2004/ug/acadinfo/grades.htm

So how does AMCAS convert York grades? Is there anybody from York who actually applied?

• 2 months later...

The five or more passing grades, alpha with +/- does seem to fit York, but again, seems too good to be true.

Ideally, the York conversion scale should be under Numeric-Canadian, but it is not, so can we assume the aforementioned scale is correct?:confused:

Again, can a previous applicant from York reply to this!

Paheli's first post was correct (fortunately). I JUST applied to a couple US schools through AMCAS and they did indeed convert both my A's and A+'s to 4.0s. I THINK that B+ is a 3.5, and that a B is a 3, but don't quote me on that last part.

Either way, it is a VERY sweet conversion.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived