Premed 101 Forums

pre-clerkship summers, research vs. electives/observerships?

TNT

What would be the best thing to do during the two preclerkship summers with respect to success in CaRMS matching for the competitive specialties? While I realize both are becoming increasingly important in matching success, is meeting people and gaining connections maybe more important than basic/clinical research? Thanks for any comments...

What would be the best thing to do during the two preclerkship summers with respect to success in CaRMS matching for the competitive specialties? While I realize both are becoming increasingly important in matching success, is meeting people and gaining connections maybe more important than basic/clinical research? Thanks for any comments...

Hi there,

Ultimately, if you can demonstrate clear interest in the primary specialty to which you are applying during CaRMS and make a good impression on those who help influence decision-making then you should do well. That means that if you complete some research within your field of interest and/or impress those who are in your program of interest (and who can put in a good word for you) then you may do well. Ultimately that means that you could do either sort of activity during your first year, i.e., research within your field of choice or a clinical elective with folks who are near and dear to the program. You could always try to kill two birds with one stone though: do some clinical work and research with one influential person. That can't hurt.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'm actually not quite sure which specialty I want since I'm only in first year and haven't been through rotations of any kind. If I were to do clinical research in one discipline and later decided to try and match to another discipline after clerkship, would this be frowned upon? They must understand that med 1/2's haven't made up their minds from day one, no?

My suggestion would be that research is more transferable. As you said it, you may switch which residency you will be applying. Certainly research in your area of interest is best, but in general, any research is good too! Program contacts come and go, and if you decide not to apply to that area, it may not be as useful.

Archived