Premed 101 Forums

Verbal practice AAMC

spoudaios

Few questions guys...

1>. Are these practice AAMCs much easier than the real MCATs?

2>. I don't scale scores because i haven't tried doing the entire practice exam... I just picked from MCAT practice no.4 and took like 2 passages and timed myself and i did VERY poorly... One passage has 10 questions and i got 3 right. One passage has 5 questions and i got 3 right... If i do this in the real exam, what will be the scale mark? Will it be 5 or lower than 5? This is very embarassing...

In general, how many numbers of questions i should aim to get right? I know the aim is to get everything right but i don't think i am being realistic as this is my WEAKEST part of the exam.

When you guys do these verbal passages, do you always look back to the passage for EACH question?

I tried to answer questions right away without referring back to the passage but i always felt that i might have missed something or missed reading words etc... So, i ended up going back to the passage every time unless if i am 100% sure about it.

I just tried the Gold standard exam CBT and got 24/40 (6/15) which is real bad. I run out of time at the last 2 passages which are much harder than the previous earlier passages.

I want to practice more but i don't want to use AAMC to avoid running out of practice materials.

I plan to do my exam in January and April. Can anyone give me any advice as what i need to do?

These seems to be my problem:

1>. I dislike reading non science materials. I guess i have to suck it up and start reading more. These magazines that people recommend like the Economist, Atlantic, Harper's, Walrus, Prospect... which section in particular in the magazine that will be the most beneficial to read? Do you read long articles like 7 pages long or choose the shorter ones?

2>. I have problem retaining what i have read previously... how do i improve in this?

3>. I personally like written exam better than computerized. I got dry eyes and my eyes got tired and blurred easily when starring at these long passages. Plus i like to write and make notes and underline, etc...

On the real exam, other than highlights, what other features are available?

4>. I know i have to improve my reading speed but the faster i read, the less i comprehend. How do i improve this?

Thanks all...

Much appreciated...

Archived