Premed 101 Forums

chem prerequisites

hp18

I have done organic chem I without lab (1/2 year credit) at UTM (as it is offered without lab only) & taking Org chem II with lab (1/2 year credit) in my third year at UTM. I have also done 1 full year credit in general chemistry with lab, 1/2 year credit in physical chem with lab & 1/2 year credit in inorganic chemistry with lab. Will this meet prerequisite requirements for chemistry at University of Ottawa?

If ever they don't and you don't currently meet the pre-reqs, they might still give you a chance to complete them later (they won't necessarily disqualify you for not writing them on your app.). Last year I was missing 2 pre-reqs and they called me during winter to make sure I was taking them. I did, and the fact that I hadn't written them on my application didn't stop me from getting in.

Can I then take the course in summer before 2008 entry into med school (LOL, I presumed I am getting in).

Nope! You can during the school year, but not during the summer preceding registration. You could enroll in these courses for January and start taking them, and still drop them later if you find out you didn't get an interview. Of course you'd lose maybe 50% of the money you paid for the courses.

Nope! You can during the school year, but not during the summer preceding registration. You could enroll in these courses for January and start taking them, and still drop them later if you find out you didn't get an interview. Of course you'd lose maybe 50% of the money you paid for the courses.

Exactly. Also, if you sent them an email already, you'll probably get an answer plenty soon to register for courses, if not in time to submit your application (oh, and changes can be made to your application regarding pre-reqs once you submit it, I think, contrarily to almost everything else...).

From what I can see, the only thing they could possibly request is that you do the orgo I lab. If it's not offered in January where you live, you can take it with Athabasca, provided you're willing to go to Alberta or somewhere where the lab is offered. You should be able to do just the lab, which lasts a whole intensive 3 days :P , and then you can go back home to do the reports & wait for your acceptance email :P ...

If it's not offered in January where you live, you can take it with Athabasca, provided you're willing to go to Alberta or somewhere where the lab is offered. You should be able to do just the lab, which lasts a whole intensive 3 days :P , and then you can go back home to do the reports & wait for your acceptance email :P ...

Are you serious??? A three day course worth half a credit? :eek:

This is nuts! Has anybody done this before?

Are you serious??? A three day course worth half a credit? :eek:

This is nuts! Has anybody done this before?

It need not be half credit. Just lab portion of half credit already done Org I.

If this is possible in any University in Ontario, I would be very interested. Anyone with more info on this?

It need not be half credit. Just lab portion of half credit already done Org I.

If this is possible in any University in Ontario, I would be very interested. Anyone with more info on this?

Athabasca seems to offer it through McMaster. Just Google "Athabasca" and you'll see it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a full year in both general bio and general chem, but I'm taking a half year of organic and half year of biochem this year... can both of those combine to be the other prereq??

Yes, they can. It's not a problem. You will need the orgo lab for that half course though.

Does this work the same for Bio Chem? I have a full year of Bio Chem with a half lab (once every 2-3 weeks). Do they really disqualify you fro having done an extra lab on you Bio Chem?

Hum... Are you worried that because the pre-reqs say "biochem without lab", that having the lab will be a problem? If you have a full yr of biochem, whether or not there's a lab component, then I'm pretty sure you'll be fine for the biochem requirement... You'll still need the labs for the other pre-reqs, but having more than required is not going to work against you...

Archived