Premed 101 Forums

3.70 + in one year???

Hey guys,

Just wondering...what are the chances of actually getting an interview/getting accepted at UWO with only one year above the 3.70. I have two other years that unfortunately fall JUST short of the 3.70. I still got one more year though, so do you think there is a decent chance of getting interviewed? (I made all the MCAT cutoffs).

If you have 1 year at 3.7 or higher, you can use your current year for conditional acceptances. If you are not graduated yet, you have to ensure either your current year or the previous 3.7+ year has 3 or more full courses that are senior level (200+ at UWO, 300+ at other schools). If you have already graduated, you can do a "special year," which needs to have 4 full (or 8 half) courses that are 300+ or higher level, and do not have first year courses in them.

Then, if you are applying with that extra year in progress, UWO will give you an interview based on having that one year already completed at 3.7 and your MCAT (if it meets cut-offs), BUT your acceptance will be conditional on completing your current year with a 3.7 or higher.

I myself am currently suffering through a special year.

UWO is pretty stringent regarding those requirements. For example, I have one year at 3.8+ and 30 credits and another at 3.75 and 26 credits, and they wouldn't count my 26-credit year, so they probably won't count your "almost 3.7" years, either. They are pretty particular about that.

So basically, if you are applying this year, have 1 year at 3.7+, and meet the MCAT cut-offs, your goal now is to pull a 3.7+ in this year.

If you have 1 year at 3.7 or higher, you can use your current year for conditional acceptances. If you are not graduated yet, you have to ensure either your current year or the previous 3.7+ year has 3 or more full courses that are senior level (200+ at UWO, 300+ at other schools). If you have already graduated, you can do a "special year," which needs to have 4 full (or 8 half) courses that are 300+ or higher level, and do not have first year courses in them.

I thought that even in the 'special' year one had to have 5 full courses or equivalent (30 credit hours). 4 full courses may not do if they are not equivalent to 30 credit hours...

Maybe I'm wrong though...

RB

I thought that even in the 'special' year one had to have 5 full courses or equivalent (30 credit hours). 4 full courses may not do if they are not equivalent to 30 credit hours...

Maybe I'm wrong though...

RB

Yes, I meant that 4 out of your 5 courses need to be 300+ level. You have to have a full courseload (30 credits) in both years over 3.7.

Did the admissions office give you this info Jochi about the 300 level course at other undergrad universities thing?

If you have 1 year at 3.7 or higher, you can use your current year for conditional acceptances. If you are not graduated yet, you have to ensure either your current year or the previous 3.7+ year has 3 or more full courses that are senior level (200+ at UWO, 300+ at other schools).

And I don't know if my current year counts with the whole 60% at your course level. I have 2.5 at my level, and then the rest are all 300 levels, but in my school, they're all the same for senior courses.

I think it's ridiculous that 2nd year molecular bio or whatever 2nd year in Western is considered senior/more advanced than all the other universities...essentially, that's what they're saying.

The requirements for the 'special year' are slightly different than the requirements for other years. On our website it states:

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. (Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff.) Special years will only be considered if they contain five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) with a minimum of four full or equivalent courses at the honors level (which at Western are numbered 200 or higher). Honors level courses at Western numbered 200 are equivalent to third year courses at all other universities. First year courses are not acceptable in the "special year".

I hope this clarifies it for you.

So yeah, I'm still stuck with 4 300 levels for next semester...:rolleyes: *sigh*

sorry if i'm "hijacking" the thread, but I found the following in the UWO FAQs thread:

".....Your grade in each course is converted to a score out of 4.0. The score for the 5.0 best credits in each full time year are then averaged (weighted by course credit value) to give a GPA for that year out of 4.0."

SO basically all you need are two full time yrs, in which HALF your courses need to average out to more than 3.7?

That would be HAWT!

sorry if i'm "hijacking" the thread, but I found the following in the UWO FAQs thread:

".....Your grade in each course is converted to a score out of 4.0. The score for the 5.0 best credits in each full time year are then averaged (weighted by course credit value) to give a GPA for that year out of 4.0."

SO basically all you need are two full time yrs, in which HALF your courses need to average out to more than 3.7?

That would be HAWT!

The UWO website is referring to course weights, not OMSAS weights. 5.0 courses is considered to be 5 full time courses for this purpose. If, however, you are overloading your courses, then only the best 5.0 courses will be counted (provided none of them are repeated courses, or they aren't first year courses during a "special year").

Elaine

That would be HAWT!

No, this is 5 FULL courses, so 10 halves. This just accounts for if you've taken more than 30 credits in a year - then they'll drop the lowest grades and take the highest 30 credits.

Archived