Premed 101 Forums

interview question

hey!

i know it's way too early to be thinking about this, but i was just going through the threads in this folder and i've noticed a lot of people saying that they were challenged in their interviews. do you mean they asked thought-provoking questions about your sketch? or are they mean about it asking you why you participated in a certain activity or asking you to show them your passport to confirm the exact month and day you said you went somewhere, haha.

thanks!

All of the above (except the passport question). Keep in mind that peoples interpretation of how people 'challenge' their responses will vary. Some people take it as the interviewers being 'agressive' and others understand it as the interviewers trying to illicit a more detailed explaination in an attempt to better understand you.

They might ask why you feel a certain way about a news event/ethical situation. They might propose a 'well have you ever thought about [insert totally opposite opinion to yours here]'.

It's all good. Worry about getting the interview first.

Good luck!

Most students find the interview process challenging as the scenario is designed to test your ability to think under pressure. There are many strategies you can employ to prepare for the interview. One of the most effective is to practice using hypothetical questions and ideally get feedback from someone objective. While the interview is certainly stressful for most people, it is also an excellent opportunity for you to demonstrate to the admissions committee why you should be accepted to medical school.

Good luck!

Most students find the interview process challenging as the scenario is designed to test your ability to think under pressure. There are many strategies you can employ to prepare for the interview. One of the most effective is to practice using hypothetical questions and ideally get feedback from someone objective. While the interview is certainly stressful for most people, it is also an excellent opportunity for you to demonstrate to the admissions committee why you should be accepted to medical school.

Good luck!

This is true, but don't worry too much about it. The interview is challenging like the rest of the admissions process, and it's stressful like any other interview for things you really want. It's not totally different from regular interviews, except you maybe have to be a bit more prepared. Apparently sometimes the pannels act strangely to see how you react (ie one of them might be cold or really quiet), but just take it as an act (which it is!) & you'll be fine. Also, this is really not always the case. I loved my interview pannel & everyone was super nice with me! I know many people in my class had the same experience.

Either way, like Talon said, worry about getting the interview first. ;)

some of my interviews with us med schools have been so relaxed and enjoyable. definitely some of the best moments in my semester so far. i hope canada is the same, but they seem to want to stress you out more than attract you to the school (i have the feeling that many schools in the states use the interview as an opportunity to attract students to the school, so they end up being very pleasant experiences).

Give Canada a try before you worry too much about that... I think there are rumors of scary/rude interviewers from everywhere, but I think here too, it's a minority. They ultimately want you to accept their offer and will make you feel as such :) In a way I personally hated that on my interview day : I was already convinced on Ottawa & wanted in really bad, and they made me want it even more! I was like "oh no, what if I get rejected now!" :P

Archived