Premed 101 Forums

financing US schools

Alastriss

I did a fair bit of reading, and it seems that financing US schools seems pretty tough. I know itll be around 75k/year (thank god for parity of US and CDN dollar!) but how do people do it? I got the cosigner loans. I have relatives in the states and cosigning seems to be a pretty big responsibility. RBC lines of credit also state that they are for canadian medical schools, not american medical schools, even though people on this forum have said they received RBC lines of credit. Any comments on this?

I posted a similar Q:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23368

I haven't done as extensive research as you have (busy writing secondaries and other things), but speaking with my friend who is funding his Carrib med degree through loans, it seems like a combination of OSAP (I hear max $10K - which is great because that's interest free during your studies) + a $150K LOC (He was able to get a RBC LOC so it seems like it would work for US) + personal savings/contribution from relatives & parents to cover the remainder (or maybe one more LOC ughh).

I'm not basing it on $75k though (I guess that's Wayne State?)...most budgets I've seen from schools suggest $60-$65k.

Perhaps some people currently enrolled in US schools could chip in.

I posted a similar Q:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23368

I haven't done as extensive research as you have (busy writing secondaries and other things), but speaking with my friend who is funding his Carrib med degree through loans, it seems like a combination of OSAP (I hear max $10K - which is great because that's interest free during your studies) + a $150K LOC (He was able to get a RBC LOC so it seems like it would work for US) + personal savings/contribution from relatives & parents to cover the remainder (or maybe one more LOC ughh).

I'm not basing it on $75k though (I guess that's Wayne State?)...most budgets I've seen from schools suggest $60-$65k.

Perhaps some people currently enrolled in US schools could chip in.

last year it was 72k, this year it's 80k...insane. if it keeps going up like this....

I personally believe that Wayne, due to the size of its class (the largest in NA I think, at ~320), probably has the largest number of Canadian students PLUS OOS Americans and the school takes advantage of us. I haven't done this myself, but someone should go and check out the OOS/Intl cost of attendance at the other michigan schools, particularly michigan state (since it accepts canadians as well). I have a hunch it's not a state thing but a Wayne thing.

I personally believe that Wayne, due to the size of its class (the largest in NA I think, at ~320), probably has the largest number of Canadian students PLUS OOS Americans and the school takes advantage of us. I haven't done this myself, but someone should go and check out the OOS/Intl cost of attendance at the other michigan schools, particularly michigan state (since it accepts canadians as well). I have a hunch it's not a state thing but a Wayne thing.

Looking at 2005-2006 numbers from US News:

Wayne State IS 23,314, OOS 46,766.

MSU IS 23,700 OOS 51,600.

So MSU is actually higher.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived