Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school from York U

Guest rez32

Guest rez32

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of going to York U instead of U of T based on the rumour that it's easier to get good marks from York.... Is that true? and would it be a bad idea to go to York cuz it doesn't have as good a reputation as U of T? Have any of you heard of people who've gone to med school who've applied from York U? thanks everyone!

Going to York won't hurt you AT ALL with respect to getting into a med school. I'm don't think it's easier to get better marks there, but I haven't attended it. Even if it was, I doubt it'd be very much anyway. But if you have enough other compelling reasons to go there, then by all means do so.

Guest heyheyhey

Went to york on scholorship. Got good marks, had fun got into medical school. Is it easier...no. It is just you have more help availble. Since not as "cut throat" you can get research positions and know your proffs. I would even go further and recommend you go to a REALLY small university like Brock. I advise against u of t, but so long as you are ambitious you can thrive anywhere. good luck

Guest BrainDrain

Choosing which university to do your undergrad based on a "rumour" of how easy it is to get marks is a BAD idea. IMHO, choose your school based on where you think you will get the best education and where you think you can mature to become the person you see yourself in 4 years. Don't become one of those premed freaks who constantly worry about that almoghty GPA because getting into medschool is about more than just marks.

BrainDrain

I switched to york after second year at U of T, and my marks stayed the same (low-mid 80's). Its still hard and no free ride, with proffs keeping averages at ~C/C+, and RARELY curving. I got 3 interviews this year and go in at 2/3 schools, waitlisted at one.

Archived