Premed 101 Forums

Summer after 1st yr - Suggested options?

Hi everyone,

Seeing that deadlines for lots of research programs for the summer are in Dec/Jan, I'm trying to figure out what to do for the summer 08, when I'll finish 1st yr med.

Frankly, I'd just like to travel and take the summer off, but seeing that I haven't done ANY research in my undergrad, I'm thinking that I should do some research to up mychances when CARMs come around in 3rd year. I'm also interested in family med, and would like to do some kind of observership (shadowing?). Aside from these two options, is there anything else that I should get into after 1st year, to I'm more competitiev when CARMs rolls around?

Also, if anyone know of any good sites to search for summer-research and summer-observaship opportunities, I'd really appreciate it! My only route of looking for shadowing physicians right now seems to be asking 'em directly, which is not very efficient. Is there some sort of system/network set up for this?

Thanks!!

• 5 months later...

Research helps, but most people who match haven't done any research in medical school. Don't stress too much about it, really (unless you're aiming for some very competitive field, and even then, connections matter more). Do what you want to do, and enjoy yourself.

If you think you might be interested in a competitive specialty, it might be advisable to get some research experience in that area. Remember it's not an all-or-nothing deal - for example, you could do a 3 month research project, then travel/vacation for one month.. Or you could do research your first summer, then electives/vacation your second summer, or vice versa. I would say the majority of my classmates do have some research on their CVs.

If you think you might be interested in a competitive specialty, it might be advisable to get some research experience in that area. Remember it's not an all-or-nothing deal - for example, you could do a 3 month research project, then travel/vacation for one month.. Or you could do research your first summer, then electives/vacation your second summer, or vice versa. I would say the majority of my classmates do have some research on their CVs.
Yes, but during medical school?

At our school, there is a good number of people who go for the MD with research option (just means you have to do a formal presentation/write up of the research you did, most commonly between 1st and 2nd year med). I couldn't give a percentage offhand, but I did run into a lot of classmates at the faculty's annual summer research day after first year med. Might be school dependent, I don't know how it is elsewhere.

Even if not a summer research project, people will try to do something like a case report during medical school.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it takes some work to find an interesting project, but it's worth it.. I would find any clinical research project, where the final report has implications for a new way to approach or manage a problem, to be interesting, even if not directly in an area of career interest.

Furthermore, many projects can be relevant to more than one field (e.g. asthma -> internal medicine, pediatrics, emergency, family, community medicine).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a first year at Laurier bba and i will share my experience with Laurier as i was in your exact postion last year on this site. Overall Laurier is an excellent business school, which has all the great essentials needed for students to enter into the business world. It is accredited by the ICAO, allowing students to take the CA route through laurier, but also it is not specifially focussed on accounting, for it includes finance, marketing, human resources, etc. This was one of the key reasons why I picked Laurier over the other universities i applied to, for i wasnt totally set on becoming a CA, and wanted to to see other parts of business. Also, Laurier has a healthy environment and its not so large as other universities, which makes it a lot easier to get around uni with ease. So far almost all my proffesors were good tht i had in first tirm.

These are the courses i had in term 1 and some extra bird courses i would recomend to maintain high GPA averages for coop second year:

BU111(Required Course)- Probably the toughest course you will have in term 1(Semester 1), but that does not mean its hard. It is quite challenging and many people that came to uni with high 80'ss and low 90's had a hard time in it, but if you do ure work and stay caught up you will do fine. Your mark will consist of exams, stock competition, group work and lab participation. The midterm was a lot harder then the final, and it has tend to be this way from past years. I would recomend studdyyyy for the mideterm and the final for they way about 55% of your mark. Group work tends to be the spot where many students lost marks. Hope u get a smart hardworking group, for there are many assignments to complete, that are assigned at the beginning of the term. Make sure you meet up regularly with your group and start your assignments well inadvance before the deadline. I remember me and my group members were uptill 5 in the moring the day before our first assingment was due, even though we started 2 days before. But my group was quite smart and we did fine on all our assingments. Make good lecture notes, for Jim(professor for all first year term 1 bba students) tends to have quite basic slides on which he expands on in class. So this class should be one that you should skip often for u will fall behind. OVerall, it is challenging but if you keep up with the work, and studyy all the material you shall do fine.

EC120(Required Course)- Economics has a lot of material to cover in a short period of time, but most of it isnt tht complex. If any 1 took economics in high school, every thing covered in the entire semester of high school was coverd in uni in 3 weeks. SO u can understand making good notes is essential in this class and attending class is also important, so try to keeping skipping to a minimum. OVerall the marks consist of exams(90% of mark, two midterms and one final), quizes(5% of mark) and clicker marks (5% of mark, guranteed if you attend class). The quizes are online and u can do fine on them for u can get together with friends and do them together. The exams were all multiple choice for us, and i would recomend going over last year exams. I didnt like this class tht much, cause my proffesor was so lame smile, Jefferson. HE must be the most boringest man alive. The course material isnt tht bad but this proffesor made it sounds so blahhhh. I would recomend if you get this proffesor to change to a different class with a better prof. OVerall, studdy for the exams since they consist majority of your marks for the course and attend class regularly.

MA129- I would recomend you pick this math course out of the three. FOr it gives u all the requirements needed for BBA and it is so EASYYYYYY. Basically up till midterm, its all high school material. And i gaurantee if every1 was able to get alrite marks in math in high school will do fine in this course. You do learn new stuff such as integrals, but the exams arent tht challenging for this course. The other math courses are quite harder then this one, and i see no reason to pick them over this one unless ure in love with math cheese . I skipped so many classes and i got an A+(12) in the class. But do go to class after this midterm, for new material is covered in lectures. Overall an easy course, if you did fine in math in high school you shall be fine in this course.

CP102- This is the easiest class in the world. In Computer Science, each units consists of different office softwares. Such as word, excel, powerpoint, axcess, and also html and stats. The harder part to the course JAVA was taken out in our year making it an even easier course. I skipped so many classes and did reallyyy good in this class. But you do have to read a lot in the textbook for the exam to get the marks but the assignments and tasks on the computer are so basicccc. Trust im when i say a gaurantee mark above 80 if you take this course.

PO110- Taking political science was probably the worst decision i made when picking my courses. This is the most boring class ever. The proffesors put u to sleep, i would stay away from this class. YOu have to write essays which i hatee, and there is a final exam. If you like to write essays and go over politics take this class, but if not stay away....

exclamation exclamation

Other Courses tht i would recomend taking tht are bird courses areÈ

-Human Geography

-Astronomy

-Anthropology

-Global Studies

-Sociology

DO pick your courses soon when the registration opens for they do tend to get full preety soon, esspecially the easy bird courses.

Thats pretty much wat i have gained from Lauier experience. Also how could i forget, Laurier has the hotest girls everr!! They own waterloo uni girls any day. The social life at Laurier is really good, far better then other universities. I would recomend every1 get out often and get to know mmore people at uni. Balance your school work with social life. These are pretty much wat i feel is important to know for first year. Wow i wrote a lot, LOL. If any1 has any questions feel ffree to ask.

Now back to Modern Warfare 2, pce out.

Archived