Premed 101 Forums

random question

hey guys,

just wrapping up this application and had a random question...

I have heard that some applicants who meet the wgpa cut in flying colours, ie: 3.95++, get rejected pre-interview.

has anyone heard of this??

obviously there must be something wrong with the sketch, any thoughts on this topic??

although i can't say i met the wgpa cut with flying colurs (i just met it) I was rejected pre-interview. BUT i think i'm in the minority, and I'm tempted to think that this scenario will be less likely this year with the increase in wGPA cuts across the board. I think the wgpa is set in hopes of being able to send out interviews to all who meet the cut, but in case the number who meet the requirement exceed available interview spots, they turn to the sketch as a a tie-breaker. I remember last year I was one of the last to hear from ottawa: they sent out rejections first, followed by interviews... i recieved a rejection about a week after all of the interview invites were sent. I take this to mean that they keep a short-term interview invite waiting list for the few whose sketch is deemed less stellar. People have reported on these boards recieving interview invites one year and being rejected pre-interview during other attempts with a very similar sketch each time (and vice versa). Subjectibity is definately a factor.

I agree with the subjectivity part. However, I wouldn't downplay the importance of the sketch too much. Even with stellar marks, I think Ottawa puts a lot of value in that sketch, so if they feel an applicant's sketch isn't great, I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't get an interview. You have to have both, not one or the other. What's hard to say is how great the sketch has to be. That, I think, is where subjectivity comes in.The moral of the story is : if at first you don't succeed, try & try again & if you have a good GPA, odds are you'll eventually get in. It depends on who you get reading your sketch, etc.

Archived