Premed 101 Forums

Guest JD

What is a typical range of ages for a first year med school class? Not counting the extreme outliers like the one 18 year old or one 50 year old, of course...

Guest UWOMED2005

Western's first year class has an average class age of 23.6. There are three people who are all 20, and a cluster around 30.

I think we do have one of the younger averages as Western has no bias against 3rd year applicants (as far as I know.)

Guest Cassiopeia04

In my class, the youngest was 21 and the average age was 23 or 24.

In general, maturity plays a much larger factor than age.

W

Queens Meds 2

Guest Liana

Yes, I'm turning 21 this year as well.

I know I've seen more than one school with a 20 year old or two (I think I saw a 19 year old as well). From what I've seen, most schools seem to have 3 or 4 students who are 21 when entering. But yeah, age is totally a state of mind. People who worked with me thought I was 25; my dental hygienist asked what grade I was in. I wouldn't be nervous about being one of the youngest in your class (should you be so lucky as to get in!); it's really just a number.

Now, Doogie Howser, on the other hand, is a different story.

But 21 and 24 (and 30) aren't really all that far apart.

Guest JSS02

I'm turning 21 later this year. I applied to the 5 Ontario med schools. Rejected by Mac, no word from U of T, and interviewing at the other three schools. How about you? Best of luck at your interviews.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Liana,

You mentioned you already interviewed at Queen's? What day? I was there for the Saturday night shindig and had my interview Sunday, March 3rd. Maybe I ran into you! Probably not, but wasn't a great weekend nonetheless?

I'm in the same boat as JSS02 wrt interviews, btw.

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest Liana

TimmyMax,

I interviewed on Sunday at Queens, but I couldn't make it to most of the excellent adventures the rest of the weekend. I really wanted to go on the campus and bus tours; I planned to go on the campus tour, but it was so windy that day! I think I may be going back up for the 2nd weekend, just because I'd actually like to participate in this events. I figure, if I'm not accepted this year, at least they will entice me to reapply next year.

Good luck with all of your schools! Are you leaning towards any one school, should you be so fortunate as to be able to choose?

Guest JSS02

I hope to get a better idea after attending each of my interviews and talking to the med students at each school. I'm currently at U of T for undergrad and really love the city, but haven't even heard from them regarding an interview and moreover, I definitely want to check out all the schools before coming to any sort of decision. Besides, none of this means anything until I actually receive an acceptance from one of them... :)

You have it better then me, im 18 and applying !!!!!!!! I already interviewed at some schools, but am eagerly waiting for u of t. Also, I agree with the comment that alot to do with age is how old people think you are. If they think you are 25 they will treat you like that etc. I hope some of you 21 yr olds get in so I have some one to hang out with :)

Good luck

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Liana,

Yeah, it was totally windy that day- I remember walking to my interview in my suit trying not to a) get hit by a car and B) not get splashed (it was rainy too!)

I actually thought my interview was at 2 PM that day, but to my surprise it was at 3 PM. Needless to say, due to the weather I didn't feel the need to go anywhere and therefore hung out in the waiting room for the better part of 75 minutes, chatting it up, etc.

Overall, I was very impressed with Queen's; the med students were great and the weekend events were lots of fun! I'd be very happy to go there!

In terms of where I'm leaning, I was thinking UWO all the way, (I knew I was above their cutoffs) but it'll depend on my interview experience there. Should it turn out as well as Queen's and they're good enough to both offer

me admission, it would make for a tough choice, indeed! We'd have to have a Royal Rumble on this forum to decide, I think!

Anyhow, thanks for asking and best of luck with the rest of your interviews! Hopefully we all find ourselves with choice in terms of where we end up!

Best of luck!

Tim

Archived