Premed 101 Forums

... Help!

Mac sends out a letter once they receive your application indicating the tentative interview dates and your residence status. If that letter has you in the OOP group and you feel you should be in the IP group, then they give you the opportunity to correct that.

Hope this helps.

I have kinda the same problem. I live in Northern Ontario, my permanent address is there - we moved in my 2nd yr of university. So I go to school in Toronto, and all of my activities on my sketch except for one are also in Toronto. I don't know how Northern and Ottawa will look at this.

Doesn't your residence status increase/decrease your chances of the interview in the first place though? So once they decide you're out of province, and you don't get an interview, isn't it kind of late?

You get this letter in NOVEMBER to tell you they have received your application - BEFORE interview invites are sent out (which is usually jan-feb). They just send the letter to tell you the interview dates - it is NOT an interview invite. The letter has your residence status on it and you can request to have it changed if it is incorrect BEFORE decisions for interviews are made.

Edited to add: only McMaster sends this letter. I don't know about NOSM or Ottawa.

• 1 month later...

Mac will let you know how to answer that - I went through the same problem. I was born, raised and educated in Ontario (25 years), and moved out west to go to school for 5 years. I was an OOP student on my application, but was trying to change to an IP.

If you only spent your summers in Ontario (for those 3 years), that won't put you in the IP category unfortunately. You have to actually reside in the province for a certain amount of time.

Your best bet is to actually talk to them - because they take that information pretty seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

All you can do is apply.

It's not about your ECs necessarily, it's about how they feel when reading the answers to your five questions. Your GPA is high, which is good, but that's only half of it. You can never guarantee anything, because esp. with mac, it is so subjective. I wonder all the time about that -- i mean, my ECs are off the wall, too, but who knows? maybe they'll think I'm bragging? maybe they'll not like something I did? get a wrong vibe?? hah! we can only wait. It is a bit reaffirmning knowing that different people are reading each of your questions. that ought to make it a bit less subjective. Just wait. If you don't make it this year just keep applying.

Archived