Premed 101 Forums

is this possible?

Guest iwannaplaylock

I am in 3rd year and in my 1st rotation.

If I was called by a nurse about a post-dialysis patient with flank pain, I wouldn`t have finished writing a chart note and then gone for dinner before seeing the patient or calling the resident.

Even if the pt wasn't about to crash, why would you leave someone in pain while you write a note that can be finished later and then go eat your dinner? :confused:

I really do think that this was poor judgement on the part of the medical student.

Though there are many factors at play with respect the the pt's death. And it certainly isn`t the medical student's fault the pt died.

Nurses know how to get a hold of residents/staff if something is urgent. They aren`t going to be sitting around waiting for the med student to finish their dinner if they think a pt is dying.

3rd year med students aren`t supposed to be first call to urgent cases...at least at Ottawa we are first call to non-urgent cases...if any university has 3rd year students 1st call to all cases not allowing the person (nurse) to use their clinical judgment about the best person to call, then that university would seriously need to reevaluate their process. I have a hard time believing any university/hospital would be so careless.

Where I did med schoool students were often first call for ward issues...the resident would be paged if the patient was unstable or if the student felt uncomfortable. The student has a certain degree of responsibility in recognizing a situation above their head and calling appropriate help.

I'm now a first year resident at a different university. It seems the same rules apply...I always tell the student that they will be first call to the ward and I want to hear about any problems sooner rather than later. If I know a student is quite capable I let them have a lot of independence, if I have concerns about a student I follow them more closely.

As medical students you are adult learners and need to be aware of your own abilities and limitations. This is a skill that will be invaluable throughout residency and the rest of your career.

I think one of the most important things to learn as a med student and as a resident is when to ask for help. Quite frequently we feel that we should know the answer, or be completely competant just because we went to med school, but that is so far from the truth. Book learning does not equal clinical abilities.

Remember when you hit the wards as a med student and a junoir resident that is not weakness if you say "I don't know, I need some help, and therefore i am going to call my resident/senoir/attending". In my opinion the best med students or junior residents are the ones that know thier limitations. In fact when asked to evaluate med students that I am supervising I always take into consideration whether or not they know thier limitations. I am also don't give very much autonomy to those that infrequently ask for help as they are usually the most dangerous. I always feel more comfortable when I am on call with a med student that phones me just to review thier planned course of action.

• 2 weeks later...

That student learned one important lesson.

Never trust a nurses assessment, you are the doctor, or will be and you have the knowledge to properly figure things out.

He or she was the most educated person attending to the patient at the time. When will they own up and admit they made a mistake.

Medical students don't have the ability to make assessments over the phone. Always go look at the patient, examine the patient, think, then call the resident.

Trust no one, use your brain, and load the boat.

Archived