Premed 101 Forums

Which CEGEP to choose?

Pristrom

Hi, I'm heading to CEGEP next year and I'd really like to become a pediatrician. Because I don't currently live in Quebec, I'm not sure which of the 6 English CEGEPs to choose to study at. Is there any particular CEGEP that would increase my chances for Pre-Med program at McGill University? Thanks a bunch!

Pristrom

Marianopolis students seem to have higher acceptance rates to McGill pre-med. However, admission to Marianopolis is much tougher and they generally get very competitive and high achieving students in their health sciences program. Therefore, it is hard to say whether or not there is an inherent bias favoring Marianopolis students or whether it's simply a question of achievement. Also, if you decide to go to Marianopolis, be aware that you will be immersed in a heavily competitive environment. Some people thrive in this setting while others feel miserable.

Ultimately, I would go where you think you will be most comfortable and achieve the highest CRC. Acceptance to pre-med is wildly competitive. The year I applied to pre-med, only 2 students from my CEGEP were accepted at McGill (and I went to a big CEGEP). Thus, be flexible and keep in mind that you are probably better off getting a bachelor's degree either way. I honestly don't even think that it makes sense to allow people into Medicine who are 18 years old and have no University experience. Although it it nice to fast track, you end up missing out on a lot of opportunities by doing pre-med and many people that I know who did do pre-med feel disadvantaged as compared to the University graduates in their Medicine classes.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone who has replied to my question! You guys are much more helpful than my school guidance counselors who totally ignores students' questions.

I've heard mixed comments on Marianopolis. Some say its highly competitive for marks and etc... Is it just because so many students who already are determined to go to pre-med go to Marianopolis; thus, Marianopolis has many more people apply for pre-med?

There's one other concern thats been bugging me :S. My French sucks. I've only completed grade 9 French in Ontario. What am I expected to know for the easiest French course at Marianopolis?

Thanks a lot for all your support!

What am I expected to know for the easiest French course at Marianopolis?

Thanks a lot for all your support!

The easiest french course at Marianopolis should not present a problem for you. Before they put you in any class, they give you a placement test and if they place you in introductory french, it's just that: introductory and therefore, easy.

I think we all know that introductory is synonymous with easy.

Hey Pristrom,

I went to Marianopolis and I'm in in pre-med program at McGill this year. I can honestly say that had I gone to any other cegep, I wouldn't be where I am today. The environment at Marianopolis pushes you to give your best and in a sense brings out your true potential. I wasn't a great student in high school and I didn't try that hard because I didn't need to. But at Marianopolis you'll soon realize that you'll have to work harder just because everyone around you is! At the same time, there is that sense of competition and when it comes to application time almost everyone in health science applies to pre-med and it can be quite intimidating. In the end, however, we make up the greatest number of the pre-med class at McGill (17 out of 80). In pre-dent, Marianopolis also does really well - 6 of the 9 students in the program are Marianopolis graduates.

I had an amazing experience at Marianopolis and some of my friends didn't. Still, I would strongly recommend it :)

Archived