Premed 101 Forums

Take an extra year to do an honours degree?

Guest kylerh

Guest kylerh

A couple questions, for those that are med students. How many years undergrad did you study??? I am currently in second year debating whether or not to spend an extra year to finish my honours degree. What are my chances on being excepted?? I have a respectable GPA and I am writing the MCAT this summer. I also have done many years of volunteer work. Your imput would be great.

kylerh ;)

excepted? or accepted?

More and more schools are taking students who've done 4 years and more. That said people with 3 years do get in, but it's becoming less and less likely so don't skip out on 4th year and put all your marbles on getting in after 3rd year.

Guest muchdutch

Just make sure that you have the course-load requirements for the school(s) you want to get into. So it's best to fill in your years with full time courses (especially if you live in Ontario!) as many schools require this. You won't be penalized for having credits extra to your degree once you convocate. Besides, many people go to school for more than four years - that fact won't exclude you from being eligible to apply to medicine.

Archived