Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation

Guest Jim2375

Guest Jim2375

Hi,

I am an engineer from UBC planning to apply to Ontario Med Schools. Here at UBC, we are given a percent mark for each course and the number of credits earned. Where most courses are 3 credits, there are some that are 2 , 4 or 6 credits.

How do we take the credits of a course into account when we calculate the GPA (on the ontario scale) ?

Thanks.

Jim.

Guest UWOMED2005

Good question - check out the OMSAS website (I believe it's posted at the top of this forum.) Hopefully they'll have an answer that makes sense. Or maybe someone else here has more experience.

At UBC, you get 3 credits for a 1/2 year course, right? (I know because I almost transferred there myself after first year!) Then my guess is that you should have at least 15 credits/term - but I dod remember UBC tended to like to give its students more credit hours than other schools. . .

Anyways, I'd use the OMSAS formula (ie 81%=A-=3.7) to figure out what to give each course (ie 3.7,) then multiply that by the credit value over 3 (ie multiply by 2/3 for a 2 credit course, or 6/3) If you have 15 credits/term, then add up all your courses and divide by 15.

That's my best guess. But I really don't know. . . try waiting for someone who does know to respond, or maybe contact OMSAS themselves.

Guest cheech10

Don't worry about it, the GPA calculation is done on the OMSAS application itslef and is handled on their end, so when the time comes, open an account with them an test out the calculations. Best of luck with your application!

Archived