Premed 101 Forums

Graduate reference letter

I have a question re: UofT Graduate Application. Graduate students are allowed to submit 3 extra letters of reference in the supplemental application package. I did some volunteer work in South America, and I am thinking about asking the volunteer coordinator there to give me one of these additional letters. She speaks English, but not perfectly, and her letter may have grammatical/spelling errors. DO you think I should avoid using her as a reference, or do you think it will be OK?

I could be wrong, but I thought those three are there to support your research productivity, and usually they are from your committee members.

I think you're right... the general involvement / community letters if used, would usually be one of the 3 OMSAS ones.

the extra 3 toronto allows is solely because you are a graduate student... i.e. show what you've done so far and why you're contributing!

"In addition to the three references required as part of the application, the applicant shall have a member of his/her Thesis Committee supply the Faculty with a confidential letter evaluating his/her research work and stating the expected date of degree completion. Up to two additional letters of reference will also be considered."

I understood that one letter needed to be about research, and two additional letters were accepted *no conditions?

Archived