Premed 101 Forums

Academic information

I don't think labs count as extra courses if they are integral to the course (at least they don't at MUN). For example, you'd expect a first year bio course to have a lab component. Therefore it's all just one course. If you do 5 courses that each have a lab component, you still are only doing 5 courses as far as I know.

The best bet with questions like that is to phone the admission office and ask them. I had a fair bit of trouble entering my academic info last year (alternating work and study terms during engineering), so that's what I had to do. They straightened it out as best they could.

• 2 weeks later...
everytime i enter my GPA into their system to convert it, it tells me i've entered an invalid GPA. ??? why is this so complicated?

Do you happen to be entering it as 3.7 instead of 3.70? The system is quite particular and requires your GPA to be entered with 2 decimal places.

no, i'm definitely entering it with 2 decimal places. this is really frustrating, although really i shouldn't have left the details until a day before the deadline! i'm using their scale and just choosing the middle number for each letter grade. it makes me have low averages, because my school didn't have A+ as an option, so when i convert, even a 3.8 year turns into an 84. seems kinda low. any suggestions? should i be taking the top score in each letter grade category, instead of the middle?

The only other thing I can think of that would be messing with the GPA calculator would be if your scale goes higher than 4.00.

If you feel the calculator is giving a lower score than you think it should be I would suggest using the grades on the higher end of the border. For example, use a 3.8 = 85 rather than 84. Just don't try to artificially inflate your grades as the admissions committee will likely confirm your entries.

In the end I wouldn't worry too much about the grade. MUN seems to have a reputation of looking at the bigger picture of the candidate. I doubt a one or two percent will make much of a difference in their selection.

Best of luck with tomorrow!

Archived