Premed 101 Forums

Northern Ontario Medical School

Guest djgoldma

Hi djgoldma,

As far as I know, they're still slated to open for 2005 admissions. The late possible date for the cut-offs/requirements to be published would be with the OMSAS application booklet that comes out during the summer. Check out their site at : www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/.

Good luck!

bj

Guest hacker

Hi,

Here's some information I got from NOMS by email,

-GPA cutoff: expected in range 3.0-3.3, giving more weight to your final years of undergrad (Similar to Ottawa's WGPA calculation)

-4 yr undergrad degree required

-Preference given to residents of rural areas in Northern Ontario

H

Guest aneliz

We had the NOMS admissions/student affairs manager visit UWO and give the following information:

1. NO MCAT

2. GPA cut-offs will likely be determined by the applicant pool but will be lower than other schools (depending on where you are from). They are considering an Ottawa-style multiple different cuts depending on geographical location.

3. There will be a definite and significant advantage for:

- first nations students

- legitimate residents of northern ontario (ie completed high school there)

- francophone students

- mature students from N. Ontario with work experience in N. Ontario

4. Interview process and supplemental application materials will emphasize knowledge of and involvement with northern Ontario or other 'remote' communities.

The mandate of this school is to train the 'general' physician for northern, rural and native communities. There will be mandatory 'remote' placements in first and second year and mandatory placements in native communities.

The goal of their selection process will be to select students that will be able to cope with the 'distance' learning format of the curriculum and will be socially okay when they are placed in northern rural and remote communities. (ie not someone that can't survive without sushi or going to an authentic X cultural restaurant or X specialty food shop, etc) How they are going to accomplish this in practice, I don't know.

Guest UofT Student

Also, it is important to note that NOMS will **not** look at your first-year GPA. This could either help or hurt you, as the case may be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macdaddyeh

The Northern Ontario medical school website has been updated. It has some very interesting criteria and admissions policies (no mcat, no prereqs, weighted GPA), but it will definitely favour "northern" residents so there is not much hope in a "southerner" like me applying.

See here: www.normed.ca/ under ADMISSIONS

Guest tirisa

Interesting admissions criteria for NOMS. I haven't seen any mention about whether a masters will lend any additional support to the application.

I am also wondering if applicants from rural Southern Ontario are considered differently than urbanites... rural SO is not exactly rural NO, I admit, but all my years of forking sh*t and baling hay should count for something, don't you think? :rollin

Anyway, I second physiology's posting... it's time to start a NOMS forum. There are going to be many people interested in discussing the admissions criteria, the future curriculum, etc. in expectation of the upcoming admission year.

Enjoy the day, everyone.

Ti

Guest aneliz

Don't know what NOMS will think of rural southern ontario...but UWO is attempting to target these students...make sure you highlight your rural experiences at UWO if you apply here.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I've actually wondered the same thing about NOMS' mandate. I read somewhere that they are targeting people born/raised north of the French River, but I'm not sure how hard and fast that rule is. That makes me think the keyword is "northern". F'rinstance, where the admissions page talks about "northern urban, rural and remote communities", I parse that as "northern urban", "northern rural" and "northern remote" communities. But what do I know? I'm on the outside looking in, just like everybody else.

Since I can't see myself working permanently in the north, I likely won't apply to NOMS. Nice place to visit, wouldn't mind doing locums up there, but for me it's not home. I will, however, be sucking up like crazy to UWO in the coming application cycle...

Hey Ian, could you please open a NOMS forum? Pretty please? With sugar on top? The school now has provisional accreditation from the LCME and CACMS, and will presumably be part of the OMSAS cycle that starts next month. All it needs now is students (and a dedicated forum on your website!!!)

Cheers,

pb

Tirisa - just remember, it built character... ;-)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFAx1bk/HNgbK3bC2wRAtR2AJ0XZ7asAKWgy57gDfjJOrlbB4E/CACeJvbL

bRmLURee0WXClULxGYIV+ks=

=swIL

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest avisee

I'm not a Northern or a rural community resident, but I am interested in Community Medicine, and I think that should include an extensive background/understanding of healthcare issues in rural and remote communities. I realize that no one here is an expert in what to expect with NOMS but maybe someone else can offer some speculative opinions as to whether it would be be a good idea to apply to NOMS with my background.

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi Avisee:

The NOMS mandate is VERY EXPLICIT about what it expects from applicants. Although I hear what you're saying about transferring your skills and knowledge into a northern med school experience, I think you and I will have a very tough time coming across as legitimate and suitable if you haven't:

1) lived up "north"

2) worked up "north"

3) volunteered up "north"

4) did research up "north" or on northern issues

5) learned a language of the "north" ie. French, Cree,etc

I write it as "north" because really the geographic area is subjective. For example, calling Sudbury "north" is a bit of a farce if compared to Sault Ste. Marie, Thunderbay or Inuvik.

But, one never knows; a little creativity (without lying of course) could make a NOMS application shine.

The wait continues,

Macdaddyeh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aneliz

NOMS will not accept international medical students for sure...not sure about their policy on OOP students... check their website for the most up to date info.

• 1 month later...
Guest Raven526

Since NOMS has received their accreditation would it be possible to start their own forum? I'm applying and feel that it would be helpful to others in my shoes.

Thanks

Raven

Guest babydoctor

I emailed this school a while back and they did inform me that they will accept out of province applicants.

Not sure if the requirements differ though....can anyone else answer this question?

Archived