Premed 101 Forums

confusion - course weights on OMSAS application

Guest amyweilin

Guest amyweilin

I was filling out my OMSAS applicatoin form but encoutered a confusion. My university (University of Toronto) uses the weight 1.0 for full-year courses and 0.5 for half-year courses. Yet I have taken some courses which do not have standard weights. One of my courses has the weight of 0.6 and another one has the weight of 0.15. On the OMSAS online form, the pull-down menu only allows you to choose either quarter-year, half-year, full-year. Should I round the course weights to the nearest?

Guest aneliz

I would call OMSAS to see what you should do with those courses. When I applied you could designate a course as

1 - 0.5 credit (half year)

2 - 1.0 credit (full year)

1.5 - 0.75 credit (half year, extra weight course)

2.5 - 1.5 credit (full year, extra weight)

0.5 - 0.25 credit course (half year, lab)

Don't know if things have changed, but it worked for me. Also, they will go through your app and check it against your transcript... at this point they will 'fix' things that you entered wrong or that couldn't be entered properly in compass.

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was anyway to calculate your precise GPA on the OMSAS web page or any other link for that matter?

Thanks for the help.

AHCC

Guest Ollie

I think I remember that when you have completed your application and you view it before submitting that it shows you the calculation of each year's and your overall GPA. Other than that I think the only way is to do it by hand!

Archived