Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS and Ottawa Question

Guest Katie MB

Guest Katie MB

I was wondering if for the detailed sketch part for Ottawa if people stuck specifically to the 100 characters for just Summer or Academic year and then 150 for Responsibility or description. I am just running out of room in the Responsibility section and was wondering if it was possible to include some of the description or responsibility in the 100 character space.

Thanks, Katie

Guest CTU24

hey katie,

i feel very strongly that applicants should stick to the intructions they are given within reasonable means. if the application said draw a circle, would you put a square instead? I understand room is scare...i know the feeling. But you would be surprised what you can cut out and what is redundant with a little creativity. That creativity can also work in some ways to combine the sections you mentioned, but i feel it is important to show the adcom that you are capable of following simple instructions

of course, this is just my opinion...best of luck

CTU24

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This past year I managed to secure an Ottawa interview and used some extra space in the "Full/Part-time, Summer of Academic Year" category to add activity details that were not relevant to the "Responsibilities" section, but relevant to the time or circumstances around the job. Here are three examples of the different pieces of information that I included there: 1) for my Research Assistant job: "FT & PT/all year (hours vary with travel to Africa/conferences & meeting submission deadlines); 2) for my TA job: "PT/academic yeear; (was recruited from ~30 grad students due to my Pharmacoepi training); 3) from my sales & marketing job: "FT/all year; (I held this full-time job in tandem with full-time B.Sc. & MBA classes)".

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived