Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch - cycling

Guest 007

This seems like a ridiculous question as I type it, but I am unsure of the answer...I ride my bike (or rollerblade) for about an hour a day 5 or 6 days a week from March through October. I consider this to be something appropriate to include as an extracurricular activity, but I'm not sure when to say I started doing it. I've been riding a bike since 1988 (when I was 6) but I feel a bit silly including this as the start date. However, I can't really pinpoint any other date when it started being a more serious activity. I've always had this as my summer activity since I was 6 and I've always done it at least several times a week since then. Does anyone have any input about this?

Thanks,

Guest Ollie

In my app I included that I like to do outdoor activities like hiking and camping, and said how frequently I did them. I listed in in extracurriculars. Maybe you could make the start date the year you turned 16, since that's about when you are supposed to go back to for activities.

Guest avisee

You only need a verifier if:

1. You're applying to U of T (possibly NOMS? I can't remember, but it tells you specifically on the application) in which case you need verifiers for everything you list in the sketch.

and/or

2. You specifically mention that activity in response to a school-specific essay question.

Otherwise, you don't need a verifier.

For freeform activties, it's really up to you. You could list someone you've cycled with, or perhaps a boss/teacher/?? who knows that you cycle. You may even be able to list a friend who knows that you cycle and ideally has known you for awhile - but I'm not totally sure about this. Other people might be able to say whether or not it's appropriate to list a friend.

Guest CTU24

I listed weight training and juggling as activities that I had done for a while similar to your cycling in the last app cycle.

I didn't include verifiers for these, even for UT (and i got in). IMO, include verifiers whenever possible, but don't include "friends" to verify recreational activities. It seems like verifier overkill to me...if it's so important it will come up in the interview. Definitely include it to showcase that you have a life outside of meds, but don't feel a need to "make up" a verifier when there really isn't one.

CTU24

Guest Ollie

Hi,

One thing that might help shorten up your verifier list is using one person to be the verifier for multiple activities (this also makes it easier on you, cause that's less people to ask and get info from). I think I had 1 friend as a verifier for 4 activities. It's not like they know that the person is your friend (and AFAIK none of my verifiers were contacted). Didn't seem to hurt my application (got accepted:D ).

Archived