Premed 101 Forums

self-directed learning

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

I'm starting to think about what I might write for my OMSAS essays, but I can't help but feel my response for one question just sounds cheesy and doesn't quite answer the question.

One question for Queen's asks, "describe one area that shows your ability for self-directed learning". What sorts of things might one use as an example??? I can think of lousy small examples (eg, an online self-paced course I took once), or generic grand-scale traits that might not be "one area" (eg, chartering my own path rather than following established ideals) but neither of these seem appropriate. I'm not sure what they mean by "one area" - is that one experience, or could that be one characteristic of yourself that could be illustrated through a number of examples??

Any ideas?

Guest aneliz

An example is key. Think of all of the things that you do... you have to have learned them somewhere! This is not just an academic question, it may also be a skill that you have developed...learning happens all of the time in all forms... the key is that you learned it on your own (through books, experimentation, practice, whatever) and you have some real achievement in it (awards, recognition from others, significant accomplishements, etc).

Guest coralrush

another question about these types of questions:

is a more recent example really that much better? My strongest and most unique example (that I can think of right now anyway) would probably have taken place in the last years of high school, 3 years ago. Is that too long ago, or should I pick a more recent example in order to show my continuing interest in self directed learning, even if it won't be as strong?

Guest CTU24

i think this is a very difficult question for someone to answer for someone else...the best i can do is give you my opinion

the key to your med school application is to be yourself and not try to be the "ideal" cookie cutter candidate. That being said, you should use examples that will best give the adcom insight into your personality. If that is an activity 3 years ago so be it...i don't think using a "bad" example of self-directed learning because you think it's more recent and therefore better is the way to go. You'll have less to write, it won't be believable and it may set off the BS detector. Stick with what you know, and be true to who you are and you'll be fine

Hope that answered your question,

CTU24

Archived