Premed 101 Forums

Gen Surg: Which programs require an elective at their school for the match?

svp2k5

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on which schools have a tendency to only fill spots with applicants who have completed an elective at thier school. I know that in general there is no policy regarding this (in fact almost all the schools say that doing an elective at the school is not neccessary), but I have heard the reality does not correspond to this.

I know (from talking to a couple of PGY1) that some programs seem to be quite willing to take someone regardless of elective rotations while other programs don't.

I am a person that really wants to do electives at a variety of locations, but clearly you can't cover the country. As I compromise, I was hoping to do electives programs where it could make a difference in the CARMS match.

thanks.

Hey,

I am in the same situation as you. UofT I believe states on the CARMS website that doing an elective with them increases the odds of getting an interview there, although it is not necessary to do so. Unofficially, I have heard that UofC requires an elective there to snag an interview.

Cheers

Hi,

There are few programs that will state outright that no elective = no interview however, within Radiology it is well known as to which programs will not grant an interview without knowing you, i.e., without and elective. In General Surgery it hasn't been so clear. In the past I'd heard that, both UBC and Toronto wouldn't bother with an interview if they didn't know you. I hadn't heard much about the others. That being said though, I do know folks who have completed interviews at these locations and done well and not received an interview and likewise, people who didn't complete their elective there and who did, presumably because of other strengths of their application that were attractive to those schools, e.g., research or good letters from preceptors known to the school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived