Premed 101 Forums

Just starting my Master's, low GPA. please advice!

Hello!!

I'm really happy i found this forum. lots of important threads. I really need some opinions and advices here.. i'm tired of how much i've been pondering about this issue without talking openly about it to people.

I finished my undergrad at uOttawa and currently i'm in my first year of a science master's program. my undergrad GPA is pretty bad because I was really not focused on my studies and goals (really bad mistake)..

I THINK that my gpa is about 3.46/4.

I already did the MCAT and I easily got a 30. I'm very sure that i can get much higher if i study better. i know my abilities if i just focus

my non-academic is not too good. i did some very minor part time jobs, but lots of small volunteer positions. i plan on joining the red cross so i can at least have one good volunteer experience and a good reference.

i have been working in research since the end of my third year... a possibility of a publication by spring 2008.

i do some sports and planning on increasing that.. i'm also pretty well rounded when it comes to knowledge about various topics and issues.. i joined university clubs, did some small things here and there.. but as u can see.. nothing really spectacular.

so taking these into consideration.. my question is: should i try to apply to ontario medical schools in Fall 2008? (and write the MCAT in the summer or spring).. and also perhaps attempt some US schools and other canadians school? do i have a chance?? please be very frank with me.

Or should i really wait till my second year of my master's so that i have more marks from my master's degree calculated?? (if i apply in fall 2008 i think only one year will count.. hopefully i will get a 4.0 in this year)

my references are my research advisor, a man that i tutor a language (we became very good friends), and possibly from my intended red cross volunteer experience.

what areas should i really concentrate on??

i really had trouble getting good jobs and knowing my way around because i arrived to canada as an immigrant and went straight to university.. so i had all this stupid cultural shock and lack of knowledge ruin a lot of time and opportunities for me.

any input is highly appreciated!

thanks.

Was your undergrad GPA around 3.46 every year or did you get a few really good years and a not-so-good ones? That can be important for some schools (that only look at the best 2 or give more weight to later years, for instance) as many threads have covered... Also, is your permanent place of residence Ottawa? That changes something for the cutoffs.

Same thing with the MCAT, I guess. 30 is good, but for some schools it depends on the specifics (10/10/10 or lots of variation between sections?).

An other question is what type of grad degree are you taking? I think some schools consider research (thesis) based masters differently from course-based ones... this might impact how the grad degree is evaluated.

I guess with that info it would be easier to know where you stand...You definitely sound like you have potential, so I would say, if you're really determined and a bit patient, there should be a way to make this work... depending on the specifics & plain luck, it might take some time though.

Hi Julie

Thanks for your reply.

First year is 3.58

Second year is 3.52

Third year is 3.09

Fourth year is 3.66.

However.. I only have 27 credits in my fourth year.

In that fourth year, I did an honor's project (9 credits), a full year seminar (3), and 5 mostly heavy science courses (3 each).

My GPA for these reasons will not work out for Western/Ottawa/McMaster.. I'm hoping that it will be still okay for Toronto and Queens at least. I will definitely email them. Toronto says it has a cut off of 3.0 for graduate students. (If the weighing formula applies to me, my final GPA for Toronto would be: 3.67)

My MCAT was 10, 11, 9. I know i can pull off better than that if i retake it.

my current graduate work is in neuroscience. it's thesis-based research with some courses.

what do u think?

thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To be considered as a graduate applicant, you must finish all of the requirements for your graduate degree before being admitted. While some schools will grant deferrals, my understanding is that it is preferable for you to be finishing (or already finished) your grad degree when applying. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

To be considered as a graduate applicant, you must finish all of the requirements for your graduate degree before being admitted. While some schools will grant deferrals, my understanding is that it is preferable for you to be finishing (or already finished) your grad degree when applying. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Yes you're right. some schools even demand that you defend your thesis by June or July which can cause a problem. But i believe they might be flexible if you can get a proof from the graduate program saying you will defend (and likely pass) by the end of the summer.

If you are willing to go to the states I'm sure you could get in somewhere especially if you rewrite the MCAT and kick some ass.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely apply to the US in my first trial. and the second time I will apply to the Caribbean too I guess.

Archived