Premed 101 Forums

Canadians and how they are evaluated at US schools

Hey guys just thought I'd post this for reference/discussion:

From DMS:

Canadians are evaluated exactly the same way as US or permanent residents in our Admissions process. In our first-year class of 73 students, we have 3 Canadians among our 12 international students. Our average science and non-science GPA's were 3.7 for the enrolling students, and they combined MCAT results were 33 P.

From SUNY:

Admissions decisions are based on merit regardless of whether an applicant

is from the US or Canada.

I hope this answers your question!

From CASE (question asked whether canadians were disadvantaged because they required more academically competitive applications)

Canadian applicants are in the same applicant pool as all others. The only difference is that you are considered international, and must have a student visa or equivalent, and you are not eligible for financial aid.

Wouldn't all this just be lovely :D

Great...but it'd be nicer if they gave us access to fin.aid and need-based grants etc.

With current tuition set at anywhere from $30K-$40K, it's borderline unaffordable for people with limited familial financial support.

It's not all that great for Americans, either, unless you are Black and have access to minority scholarships. Most schools won't give loans to internationals because people can leave the country and never to repay these loans, so it's basically same as giving grants. And not a whole lot of people get grants. My student host at Case had her parents pay for rent ($500/mo) but everything else is funded in loans, so she's looking at $200K+ in debt. Basically, the type of person who gets a grant is the kind who'd get 5+ acceptances from top 20, so schools actually have to fight over them.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guyz

i didnt want to create a new thread just to ask a single question and hence am posting here.

I applied to a couple of schools this year in september but I have decided not to send my secondaries back. Basically, dont want to go to med school next year. Should I withdraw my main application from AMCAS or from individual schools?

thanks all

hi guyz

i didnt want to create a new thread just to ask a single question and hence am posting here.

I applied to a couple of schools this year in september but I have decided not to send my secondaries back. Basically, dont want to go to med school next year. Should I withdraw my main application from AMCAS or from individual schools?

thanks all

Did you pay for secondaries? Regardless, wouldn't hurt to send emails stating your withdrawals from all the schools, as well as withdrawing from AMCAS.

With current tuition set at anywhere from $30K-$40K, it's borderline unaffordable for people with limited familial financial support.

But wouldn't the problem be solved by getting a line of credit from a bank? (I have a US co-signer)

and adding to that the fact that the student stays in the US for residency and practice, would it still not be okay?

But wouldn't the problem be solved by getting a line of credit from a bank? (I have a US co-signer)

and adding to that the fact that the student stays in the US for residency and practice, would it still not be okay?

Depends on how you see it. I don't know about US LOC terms, but I know through RBC with a Canadian co-signer, they'll give you everything from $150k to $200K. Add the $8.5k/yr from OSAP and you have a bit more than $230K.

The problem is as a resident in the US, you're making $40k-$45k pre-taxes. During this time, you may be able to defer payment on the OSAP loans, but I know RBC requires you to be paying interest during this time.

After residency, depending on the period you decide to amortize your loan, you can expect significant payments each month for a very very long time.

Depends on how you see it. I don't know about US LOC terms, but I know through RBC with a Canadian co-signer, they'll give you everything from $150k to $200K. Add the $8.5k/yr from OSAP and you have a bit more than $230K.

The problem is as a resident in the US, you're making $40k-$45k pre-taxes. During this time, you may be able to defer payment on the OSAP loans, but I know RBC requires you to be paying interest during this time.

After residency, depending on the period you decide to amortize your loan, you can expect significant payments each month for a very very long time.

Are you sure RBC would only accept a Canadian cosigner and not an American?

Archived