Premed 101 Forums

Where can I find the referee forms?

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

I'm interested in finding out what questions are asked of referees for the OMSAS application - this would help inform my decision of who I choose to ask for a reference. I will be volunteering with one of my potential referees only for another week, and I'd like to ask her for a reference, but I'd like to know she would be able to comment on the categorise for discussion before I go to the trouble of asking. I won't be around town for the rest of summer, and would like to ask personally, while I'm still fresh in her mind, rather than waiting until September, since if I ask now she can maybe make a list of traits to remind herself later when she writes the formal letter.

Is there anywhere I can view the Referee form, or find out what is asked?? Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In previous years the referee forms were generated only once you had registered yourself on the OMSAS system and entered the pertinent referee information.

As to the questions, one of the items was a grid which contained a number of attributes. The referee had to mark their rating of you on each of those attributes. Additionally there were items re: how long they'd known you, etc. Finally, they were asked for additional comments, which they could place in a letter to accompany the completed form.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific with the form details. :(

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

Thanks for your help Kirsteen.

Does anyone else know what those specific attributes are on the form? Or can you provide a general idea of what the breadth of them is? (eg, Is a professor limited with respect to what they can answer in terms of your non-academic personality? Is a boss limited in terms of what they can answer with respect to your academic/research potential? etc etc).

Thanks again

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I just had a quick look for an electronic copy of last year's form, i.e., if I'd stored one, and I had. Here are the characteristics that your referees are asked to rank: 1) intellectual capacity; 2) initiative; 3) leadership capabilities; 4) maturity; 5) cooperation; 6) integrity; 7) problem solving; 8) fluency in spoken English; 9) fluency in written English; 10) ability to communicate; 11) ability to relate to others; 12) ability for self-directed learnng; 13) critical thinking ability; 14) overall rating. The scale that your referees have to reference is as follows: top 5%, top 10%, top 20%, 50%, below 50%, unable to judge.

Lastly, there are a few yes/no questions below the grid: 1) Is the candidate the type of person who would make a good physician? 2) is the candidate the type of person you would consult were he/she a physician?

I hope the above helps you out before you head oot o' toon. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived