Premed 101 Forums

Improve Carving Score??

Guest vert

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to improve my carving score - I am kind of stuck because I practiced carving the most out of any section (~20-25 soaps plus a few candles in the beginning), but it was my lowest mark on this November's DAT.

I'm not overly concerned as this was my first attempt at the DAT, but just for future knowledge does anyone have any other advice to improve a carving score - other than to just keep practicing over and over? I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong and just not realizing it, as I did carve a lot of soaps prior to the DAT and they turned out pretty good (I thought).

I have already taken the Kaplan course, and I know that Rock the Dat does carving, but I am somewhat skeptical of that course from what I have heard on this board - plus, its a lot of money to just practice carving. But who knows.. I haven't completely ruled it out.

Anyways.. I'm just wondering if anyone else can offer some carving advice!

Thanks,

-- vert

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to improve my carving score - I am kind of stuck because I practiced carving the most out of any section (~20-25 soaps plus a few candles in the beginning), but it was my lowest mark on this November's DAT.

I'm not overly concerned as this was my first attempt at the DAT, but just for future knowledge does anyone have any other advice to improve a carving score - other than to just keep practicing over and over? I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong and just not realizing it, as I did carve a lot of soaps prior to the DAT and they turned out pretty good (I thought).

I have already taken the Kaplan course, and I know that Rock the Dat does carving, but I am somewhat skeptical of that course from what I have heard on this board - plus, its a lot of money to just practice carving. But who knows.. I haven't completely ruled it out.

Anyways.. I'm just wondering if anyone else can offer some carving advice!

Thanks,

-- vert

hey vert,

I highlighted an important point you mentioned. The only way to improve is to find your mistake and then address it. Practicing like mad is counterproductive if you aren't improving on mistakes. Practice makes perfect, but practicing the wrong way does not lead to perfection.

Get a hold of some of your carvings, and ask someone who has experience grading carving to see if they can identify a weakness (Kaplan instructor?). See if its a trend in all your carvings. Check you measurements, angles, etc.

The key is not simply practice. Its practice while learning from your mistakes. Gluck.

Archived