Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca Chem 301

I did it and found the subject matter extensive but the assignments and final exam were not difficult. I was panicked going into the exam because I felt that I had not absorbed enough of the information but found that I was fine.

That said, I studied pretty extensively. I found every question and topic that the course pack expected you to know (it is in the front of each section) and, in a word document, answered all of them. It was the best way that I could figure out to study.

So, you have to be on the ball but the exams are, at least I found, fair.

I took it last spring & I agree with ouchitburns. There's alot to learn, but the exams were fair. I didn't study that much (well, it's all relative, but let's say I really didn't feel ready for the exam) & I was missing 2 pre-reqs and ended up doing ok regardless :) I thought it was super convenient doing it in a distance-ed way and booking the exam whenever I wanted.

Jochi - when do you plan to have it finished?

For everyone else who said they took it, how long did you take? I have applied to the U of S for admission in 2008. I would have to have completed the course by April 30, 2008 to be eligible for admissions. I would sign up right away and so would have roughly 15 weeks to complete it. Would that be enough time? I emailed the professor (Professor Alexandra Venter) but haven't heard back yet.

Jochi - when do you plan to have it finished?

For everyone else who said they took it, how long did you take? I have applied to the U of S for admission in 2008. I would have to have completed the course by April 30, 2008 to be eligible for admissions. I would sign up right away and so would have roughly 15 weeks to complete it. Would that be enough time? I emailed the professor (Professor Alexandra Venter) but haven't heard back yet.

OMG, Alex Venter SUCKS....worst tutor EVER! I wrote a ginormous complaint letter about her (along with some other people) after taking another class with her this fall, and now my biochem tutor is different. I was hoping she was fired, but I guess they just figured they'd put me in with another person. She is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at grading! She had my 5-page lab report for 2.5 months! I kept e-mailing her about it like every 3 weeks, but she'd ignore my messages! (I was very polite, btw) She takes FOREVER to respond to e-mail, I've had to wait as long as 15 days, when the AU website says they are required to answer within 2 business days. Anyway, other people in the class had the same problem with her. I really hope she goes FAST. She's a nice person (I had lab with her), but she is SO incompetent, there are no words to describe it!

[/RANT]

Anyway, I have to finish this course by April 30th as well, since I'm on student loans.

If you are not taking any other classes, it's perfectly feasible to finish an AU course in 1.5 months. I finished Orgo I in that time frame (alhough like Julie said, it took another 3 weeks or so to get the final grade all up), and I had labs to attend out of town and reports to write - I actually did the Orgo I lab together with Julie!:D

ah yes... fun times!:D

Too bad you weren't there for Orgo II....5 days!:D I made some good friends, though.

Oh and btw, I did well enough in Orgo I to win the in-province lab travel award for $500, it was pretty sweet! I took 2 more labs out of town this fall, so I'm hoping to get the award this coming December again...

Too bad you weren't there for Orgo II....5 days!:D I made some good friends, though.

Hehe... I'm sure your new lab partner was far less confused than I was! :P I must say I prefer medical microbiology labs to orgo ones... everything seems so much clearer!

Oh and btw, I did well enough in Orgo I to win the in-province lab travel award for $500, it was pretty sweet! I took 2 more labs out of town this fall, so I'm hoping to get the award this coming December again...

Wow, who knew there was such a thing? Congrats, you've earned the bragging rights :D

Archived