Premed 101 Forums

NOMS cutoff

Guest byjude

Guest Elaine I

When I was speaking with the Admissions Dean at the Sudbury Open House, she told me that the GPA cut-off would likely be set in the spring of 2004 (so anytime now). She told me to expect the cut-off to be approximately 3.3 on the OMSAS scale, thought it might be slightly higher or lower. The MCAT will not be considered.

NOMS will have a similar admission procedure to that of McMaster, where the autobiographical sketch of all students meeting the GPA cut-off will be reviewed, and then interviewees will be chosen. I was given no indication (nor did I ask) of the number of interviews that will be offered for 2005.

I'm curious as to whether people will like the idea of being in the first class of a new medical school ('guinea pigs'), or whether students who have multiple acceptances will choose one of the established schools.

Elaine

Guest byjude

I personally think it would be kind of neat - and of course have its disadvantages.

I mean - on the one hand, being the charter class really sucks with all of the growing pains, new teachers, no upper year students to provide advice, no "broken in" courses thru the help of course evaluations, etc etc.

On the other hand it's a great opportunity - probably a great chance to play a meaningful role in the development of a new school and all of the student services. You get a greater opportunity to leave your mark on the school - and the admin are probably more attentive to student concerns.

Then again, I'm probably too much of an optimist. it would certainly suck not to have upper year students who've been there and done that as mentors.

Still, I have to admit, being the "charter class" is sort of one of the selling features of NOMS for me. :)

Archived