Premed 101 Forums

International students prohibited from obtaining Canadian residencies?

meshuga3

In a couple of previous posts, I detailed some questions I had about going to McGill for an MD as an international student. Briefly, I'm very interested in staying in Canada because, well, I've lived here for six years, am about to get married to a Canadian, and fully intend on obtaining citizenship at some point down the road.

My question is, I just came across a separate forum where someone posted that McGill makes international student sign a contract saying they are not eligible for a Canadian residency post-graduation. Can anyone confirm or deny that? This is obviously something I'll be asking about at my interview on Monday.

Thanks a lot.

In a couple of previous posts, I detailed some questions I had about going to McGill for an MD as an international student. Briefly, I'm very interested in staying in Canada because, well, I've lived here for six years, am about to get married to a Canadian, and fully intend on obtaining citizenship at some point down the road.

My question is, I just came across a separate forum where someone posted that McGill makes international student sign a contract saying they are not eligible for a Canadian residency post-graduation. Can anyone confirm or deny that? This is obviously something I'll be asking about at my interview on Monday.

Thanks a lot.

Hi meshuga3!

I am not an expert but I''l try to clarify some points that could be usefull.

I had a partner from N Korea,who's been living in Montreal for ~5y. He was not allowed to apply for residency bcs one should be independent and employed to be deemed legal for applying. He's been studying in McGill (Bio, undergrad). So, his mother and him decided to apply not for Canadian residency but for CSdQ (Quebec Selection Certificate) on humanitarian basis. Humanitarian bcs his mother was employed but he also has a 10-yo brother who's born in Mtrl. Thus, as a family they asked to be allowed to stay together in Qc.

In my case, my mother (she could not find a job being an MD, so she did not work at the time she applied) got her perm residence AFTER and on the basis of primarily getting her CSdQ (humanitarian again). It was fast becuase we supported her with a letter as a family and also promised financial support if needed . This way is unofficially called "familly reunion" and , as to me, fully applicable to your situation.

On a side note, I heard thouhg that you still will be asked to give up your residency here but, upon coming back u'll have all the rights to work as a doctor after finishing with a provincial registration procedure.

Again, everything said above is not an expert opinoin, another investigation is clearily needed.

Good luck.

PS: I know for sure that if your husband is working you could apply for humanitarian program ALONG with sponsorship program that requires 3 y to sponsor a spouse. And in the case of sponsorship you will get the status of a Canadian perm resident. Check for details on sporing a spouse http//:http://www.cic.ca

S.

Thanks for the info, but I should clarify (re-reading my first post, I can see how it might be misinterpreted): I'm not worried about getting Canadian permanent residency, as I know this will come reasonably easily after getting married. (Not the reason I'm getting married, btw!)

I'm worried about getting a medical residency post-graduation from a Canadian med school, in this case, McGill. I wonder if my situation will be any different since, by the time I would be ready to apply, I'd be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?

Thanks for the info, but I should clarify (re-reading my first post, I can see how it might be misinterpreted): I'm not worried about getting Canadian permanent residency, as I know this will come reasonably easily after getting married. (Not the reason I'm getting married, btw!)

I'm worried about getting a medical residency post-graduation from a Canadian med school, in this case, McGill. I wonder if my situation will be any different since, by the time I would be ready to apply, I'd be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

You question is easier than it seemed to me before :)

Well, if by the time you start your 1st semester you are considered at least a permanent resident of QC ( meaning you've got at least a CSdQ) you won't be any different from other Quebecers. To practice in other provinces you should get an approval from the Fed Governmentand, thus, to become a Canadian permanent resident.

As far as I'm concerned, the procedure starts for you from first getting QC residency and then Canadian bcs you are applying from inside of Canada. However, there are two different ways to apply, from outside and from inside. First is taking longer and probably not applicable to your situation bcs in that case you have to leave the country.

Should you get your CSdQ later, when you are already a student, your status will be reconsidered and changed from Intnl to IP; tuitions, perspectives, everything too. But I've never heard of that happened to any one during the school, even though theoretically it is possible if you get married. Again, you have to double-check it, but as I understand the rules you'd better get your Qc residency before you apply to a med school, thus, you can avoid all those bureaucratic traps which otherwise could take years and years to resolve. The waiting period sometimes reaches 5-7-10 years with no response from the Ministry of Imm.

The faster you start with an application the faster you will get it done, so, you won't have to worry about a residency at McGill.

Best of luck, S. ;)

Archived