Premed 101 Forums

UBC Med Flagging System

Hey yall, I have been reading about several threads on the flag system that ubc apparently uses. They flag things like 7 or below for a section in MCAT, so-so or bad reference letters, etc.. What I don't get is why won't UBC Med look at ref letters and MCAT score prior sending out interview invites? I mean, if applicants are gonna be flagged and rejected regardless how well they perform in the interview, why invite in the first place? They are giving false hopes to these applicants and wasting everyone's time.

no they don't look at mcat & pre-req avg before the interview...it's possible to get flagged on these after the interview, but a flag doesn't mean an automatic rejection...at the end, they look at ur file as a whole...if u're otherwise a strong applicant, or can make up for a poor MCAT section with good marks in related courses, etc...things like that could potentially help u overcome a flag and be accepted.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate flags!! The first time I applied they flagged my application because they said I didn't meet the proper credit requirements (min. 90). From what I found out they do try and clear some flags, as in my case where I got a phone call to discuss the matter and we came to a conclusion it was a error in calculation.

I also got flagged a few times for a totally small drop in my GPA which happened to be around the same time I went from college to university. They interpreted it as "failure to thrive" ;) at university whereas I'd label it as being burnt out after my 10th or 12th straight semester of school and having to come back to reality after my inflated GPA from all those business courses!

Anyway, point is flags can stick out like a fresh zit on your forehead. I agree with the others though, they do look at everything as a whole and I don't think flags take you out of the running by any means.

Is there any way to write a letter to the admission committee regarding a flag...possibly offering an explanation or drawing their attention to something. My verbal score is low but my 2 English classes, Psychology, Philosophy classes are great. I was wondering how I'd point that out to them as opposed to assume they will notice that? They didn't notice it last yr at least. Any thoughts?

Is there any way to write a letter to the admission committee regarding a flag...possibly offering an explanation or drawing their attention to something. My verbal score is low but my 2 English classes, Psychology, Philosophy classes are great. I was wondering how I'd point that out to them as opposed to assume they will notice that? They didn't notice it last yr at least. Any thoughts?

Not really...any explanations regarding parts of your application should go in your admissions essay. Rumour has it that they do actually look at your coursework if you have MCAT scores on the lower end. Even so, MCAT scores aren't a big deal at UBC. Mine wasn't stellar.

• 3 weeks later...
how does one know if he or she is flagged?

if it is something "serious" then they will phone or message you to try to resolve it. minor flags (e.g. low mcat) are things you really can't do anything about so the only way you'd know if you got a flag was if you didn't get in and read it on your feedback form/score sheet.

• 9 months later...
Does UBC flag a bad mark on your transcript? Do they flag all courses (ie. non-pre req courses, pre-req courses, final 60 credit courses)?

Eg. Is it possible to overcome a really bad grade on a first year course that does not count as a pre-req?

I wouldn't sweat it since it will already have an impact on your overall GPA. I highly doubt they would flag one really bad non-prereq grade.

Archived