Premed 101 Forums

old continuing education credits

Hello,

A general question for everyone...

Back in the day (before I went to full time university) I took some evening classes in Ryerson Universities Continuing Education school. These classes were just general interest for me at the time, and done in the night school/weekend fashion.

I have found out that some of these classes are actually degree and/or diploma credits, and I have a transcript that gives me a term GPA, with grades, and credits earned etc... I took a total of 5 classes, 4 in the 'winter term' (although 1 of them was done in the fall i remember) and 1 in the summer term. So the marks are all good, except for one class... in which I got a D !

So i'm wondering if this transcript and these night time classes matter at all when applying to medical school. If i have to report that I did these interest classes, and if that one D mark is going to have any effect on me. Also is there any way to erase that mark if it matters ?

I swear I dropped the class with the bad mark, but this transcript says otherwise. It was a LONG time ago.

Thanks a lot for your help!

So I found out my crappy grade is a degree half credit... so it is on a transcript but again... it was taken at night, part time, and for pure interest, also i thought i dropped the dam thing!

the lady told me that I cant get it taken off my record at this point even if I did try to drop it previously... SOOO... does this matter at all for med school apps ? am i forced to report this ridiculous grade/situation when applying anywhere ?

So I found out my crappy grade is a degree half credit... so it is on a transcript but again... it was taken at night, part time, and for pure interest, also i thought i dropped the dam thing!

the lady told me that I cant get it taken off my record at this point even if I did try to drop it previously... SOOO... does this matter at all for med school apps ? am i forced to report this ridiculous grade/situation when applying anywhere ?

Yes, you will have to submit your Ryerson transcript. Given that your GPA is 3.83, one low mark shouldn't make that much difference. As well, some schools have weighting formulas/only consider full time years, so that mark may be excluded at several of the schools you apply to.

One D definately won't stop you from getting into med school. Best wishes to you!

Elaine

well the class isnt even from the same school.. it was taken outside of my full time studies a year before hand, part time... so i dont know if it well matter ? or if it counts in my gpa overall for med app's ? grrr.....

i guess i do have to submit it, just really sucks that its there! i guess i need to tell them that it was a interest class that i didnt continue with or something along those lines

thanks for the info!

well the class isnt even from the same school.. it was taken outside of my full time studies a year before hand, part time... so i dont know if it well matter ? or if it counts in my gpa overall for med app's ? grrr.....

i guess i do have to submit it, just really sucks that its there! i guess i need to tell them that it was a interest class that i didnt continue with or something along those lines

thanks for the info!

Places like McMaster, which count every course, will include this course in your GPA calculation. Many other places will not, since it wasn't part of a full time year.

Have you calculated your GPA with/without the D? Likely, there isn't that much difference because of one low mark.

Elaine

well since ill have 2 years done + a few of these night time classes... i have looked at what it would do to my overall GPA for everything ive done anywhere... and it would take it down by over 0.10 a point... which when applying to med school could mean all the difference in the world could it not ?

i know that most places well not count it however, since many take your 3-4 years FULL TIME only gpa into consideration, or your latest 3-4 years full time gpa... so thats ok i guess

but in a situation like McMaster thats to bad... even if i take 4 years full time they well consider the marks from a part time class a year before university ? boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

really crappy that i have to have this mark, and had no intention of it etc...!

well since ill have 2 years done + a few of these night time classes... i have looked at what it would do to my overall GPA for everything ive done anywhere... and it would take it down by over 0.10 a point... which when applying to med school could mean all the difference in the world could it not ?

i know that most places well not count it however, since many take your 3-4 years FULL TIME only gpa into consideration, or your latest 3-4 years full time gpa... so thats ok i guess

but in a situation like McMaster thats to bad... even if i take 4 years full time they well consider the marks from a part time class a year before university ? boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

really crappy that i have to have this mark, and had no intention of it etc...!

Hi codeblue!

May be my experience could clarify you situation a bit.

As a Qc immigrant I took French language courses for newcomers. They are organized in such a manner that you are asigned to an educational institution (school, college, univ etc) not far from where you live. For me it happened to be the Cont Education Department at the Un of Montreal. At the time I did not know anything about GPAs, credits and so on... So, those courses were of general interest for me as well as some kind of adaptation and integration course. GPA was ~2.8

Few years later I was told to submit my transcript to Mac, Ottawa and McGill. All of them take into account everything you've done so far, but Ottawa will use the two-last-full-time-year formula if your GPA does not meet a cutoff.

So, I sent my transcript to OMSAS. This did not change anything for Ottawa but significantly reduce my overall GPA for MAc. When I called Mac, they answered that there was not need to send a non-degree transcript even though I was a full-time unversity student! I could've dropped it and never mentioned. That's what I'm going to do next year. However, for this application cycle it is used the way it is.

As for McGill... I don't know yet how this would affect my CGPA but in my CV and AUTO and in the trascript itself it is explicitly stated "non-degree language course" of general interest. Will see.

Hope, this helps. Call Mac and ask them if it's possible just ignore yours, do not hesitate, they are very friendly and you have nothing to loose :)

Best of luck.

s.

Archived