Premed 101 Forums

Who is on the interview panel?

Hey there,

That's right.

The medical students are usually in their third or fourth year, but it could be a second year. There is also a physician or medical school prof (I was interviewed by an anatomy professor, so it may not necessarily be a physician). the third member is from the community. I am not sure how community members become involved, but it could anyone (teachers, journalists, social workers, etc).

I don't know what they are doing this year, but last year they had access to your Western essay. Consider it a closed-file interview.

What if the student knows you from somewhere in a past life? (ie. friend, acquaintance, schoolmate, etc). I was just perusing my facebook list of friends that are currently attending UWO for meds, and I have well over a dozen that I know personally scattered throughout various years.

What if the student knows you from somewhere in a past life? (ie. friend, acquaintance, schoolmate, etc). I was just perusing my facebook list of friends that are currently attending UWO for meds, and I have well over a dozen that I know personally scattered throughout various years.

you hope to *** that they don't remember you from that Kegstand you did 5 years back at that frosh event... you know... the one where accidentally flashed everyone and then puked all over the bed where people were keeping their jackets ;) jokes

i suppose you follow for their cue? I mean, acknowledge them if they do the same first. Good question.

They should recuse themselves before the interview, so I don't think this would be likely. If they don't, I would bring it to the rest of the interviewers' attention.

They should recuse themselves before the interview, so I don't think this would be likely. If they don't, I would bring it to the rest of the interviewers' attention.

so what would happen in a case like that? would you likely be re-assigned to a different interview group? or would the student be traded with the next door med student? I am in a similar situation where I know a few people from western and queens who could show up as the med student interviewer (lol but with a potential R cutoff, i won't have to worry abut the latter). What if it's more of an acquaintance than an actual friend? My gut feeling would be to only bring it up if they really know you well. For all you could know, they may have forgotten who you are. Or would it be better to be as clear about it as possible and let the rest of the committee decide?

so what would happen in a case like that? would you likely be re-assigned to a different interview group? or would the student be traded with the next door med student? I am in a similar situation where I know a few people from western and queens who could show up as the med student interviewer (lol but with a potential R cutoff, i won't have to worry abut the latter). What if it's more of an acquaintance than an actual friend? My gut feeling would be to only bring it up if they really know you well. For all you could know, they may have forgotten who you are. Or would it be better to be as clear about it as possible and let the rest of the committee decide?

It would be up to you what you do. It would be a real life ethical dilemma. Personally, I wouldn't want someone I know judging whether I should get into medical school. If they know you, they may be more critical as they know more background then a blinded interviewer. Furthermore, as an interviewer, I wouldn't want to interview someone I know because it invites a power differential and if you don't get accepted, you could personally blame your interviewers.

Interviewers are instructed that if they recognize an interviewee's name, they are to recuse themselves and swap with another interviewer before the candidate even shows up. It's as simple as the interviewer walking to another room and swapping. You're not likely to be interviewed by somebody you know.

• 3 weeks later...

hey, do you know the name of the anatomy prof? was it marj johnson or dan beliveau?

Hey there,

That's right.

The medical students are usually in their third or fourth year, but it could be a second year. There is also a physician or medical school prof (I was interviewed by an anatomy professor, so it may not necessarily be a physician). the third member is from the community. I am not sure how community members become involved, but it could anyone (teachers, journalists, social workers, etc).

I don't know what they are doing this year, but last year they had access to your Western essay. Consider it a closed-file interview.

________

Loan Protection Insurance Dicussion

Can anyone confirm if Western has a fixed list of standard questions that they ask every applicant? This is what I have heard...

This is correct, or at least it was for last year. They do switch up one or two questions from time to time, but everything else is exactly the same in all interviews.

Archived