Premed 101 Forums

grad student quota?

hi guys,

based on what's been posted, it seems as if the invites/rejections will go out by the end of this week. but i believe grad students who have been invited to send in a package have until feb 15th to get that package to ottawa before they are notified about an interview or not.

do you think there is a number of spots reserved for grad students?

juuuuuuust wondering what your thoughts were......

hey, im not really sure if they reserve spots. they seem to consider grads separately. they state that if you dont make the ugrad cuts, you will be considered separately a 2nd time if you are a grad student. so, it sounds like you get two chances at being looked at: 1x for ugrad and 1x for grad. im not really sure where i fall. i dont finish my MSc til july. anyone have any ideas?

________

C70

hi guys,

based on what's been posted, it seems as if the invites/rejections will go out by the end of this week. but i believe grad students who have been invited to send in a package have until feb 15th to get that package to ottawa before they are notified about an interview or not.

do you think there is a number of spots reserved for grad students?

juuuuuuust wondering what your thoughts were......

Yeah, this reasoning seems fairly sound. I have been asked to submit my grad package by Feb 15th and in the email it mentioned that they plan to interview approx 550 people this year. Since they will have sent out a specific number of undergrad invites, I would think that would mean that the rest of the interview spots are reserved for individuals going through the grad stream. Of course, the million dollar question is how many spots they set aside.

i'm still not sure if I should be crying that I didn't get a request to submit a grad package :(

i meet the undergrad wGPA of 3.5/A average in grad courses requirement, so i have a feeling they were not into my ABS? part of me wants to write the Admissions Office, but what's another 3 days :)

best of luck to all...whatever happens, i will be happy to be rid of this limbo feeling in *hopefully* a month!

i'm still not sure if I should be crying that I didn't get a request to submit a grad package :(

i meet the undergrad wGPA of 3.5/A average in grad courses requirement, so i have a feeling they were not into my ABS? part of me wants to write the Admissions Office, but what's another 3 days :)

best of luck to all...whatever happens, i will be happy to be rid of this limbo feeling in *hopefully* a month!

You didn't happen to meet the undergrad wGPA requirements for your area of residency, did you? Otherwise, if you have the 85% grad average/3.50 wGPA, then it *may* be the ABS. There was talk last year that Ottawa may pre-screen grad applicants before requesting grad packages, but this may or may not actually be the case. Could also just be a matter of the order in which they're processing the applications - its really hard to say. At any rate, good luck!

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19740

hey, did you meet their date to complete your degree? i believe that i am not officially considered in their grad student pool b/c i didnt meet that date. that might explain why you didnt receive the package.

________

List of ceos of ford motor company

hey, did you meet their date to complete your degree? i believe that i am not officially considered in their grad student pool b/c i didnt meet that date. that might explain why you didnt receive the package.

Just wondering, but where do you see the required completion date? In their grad review policies, they only seem to mention that you must be in the final year of your graduate program.

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/admissions/Legacy/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

i couldve sworn they had a date you had to be done. must be mixing them up w/ uoft. well, now im confused. i shouldve received my package too. ill try callin em tomorrow to clarify.:confused:

Toronto definately has an official deadline for completion - they stipulate that you have to have defended your thesis by the end of June. Ottawa, as far as I can tell, doesn't care (as long as its done by the time school starts, I'd imagine). Could be wrong, though.

When i talked to chantal awhile ago, she was pretty adamant that the only reason the graduate review policy is there is for those who don't make the undergrad cutoff. She said "it's a second chance"...

I am in my first year of a 2 year masters.I knew I would meet cutoffs and was worried that I would be lumped in with all the grad review people.. I don't have that stellar of a grad productivity yet...

But, I guess if we get interviews we just have a nice little edge over undergrads with more experience.

Essentially, then if you have a gpa which exceeds the cutoff you really shouldn't be worrying about your grad stuff yet.

So,

I'm just sort of confused.

I am currently doing a master's degree and planning to apply next year.

I am a Toronto resident. My undergrad GPA according to Ottawa is around a 3.75 and hopefully I'll have 85% and over in my grad course.

Does this mean that I will automatically be taken under the grad review policy?

Or do I only have to over the 3.5 GPA that ottawa wants from grad students. I'm sort of confused...

If you fail to meet the undergrad GPA cut, then as long as you meet the grad GPA cut (ie. the 3.50 undergrad wGPA/85% grad average) then you are placed into the grad applicant stream.

done ;) after your first message. haha..

hey hey, omg, i finally actually got through to ottawa! okay, so they said that you may not have received a grad package b/c you advanced thru the ugrad admissions process. as i predicted, they look at you first as a ugrad, and if you dont make the cut there, they consider you as a grad student.

anyways, she said that we should just wait ti the 31st to hear.

________

Ford Cd2 Platform

So pretty much if we didn't meet the undergrad cutoff and didn't get to submit a grad package, we won't get interviews. That seems right. I just thought that maybe they will consider you in the grad review, without asking for a grad package. Oh well. I guess Ottawa is out for me.

So pretty much if we didn't meet the undergrad cutoff and didn't get to submit a grad package, we won't get interviews. That seems right. I just thought that maybe they will consider you in the grad review, without asking for a grad package. Oh well. I guess Ottawa is out for me.

I'm in the same boat OneDay. Kind of sad... i thought Ottawa would be my best chance this year...

I'm in the same boat OneDay. Kind of sad... i thought Ottawa would be my best chance this year...

Hi Ckim01,

Don't count yourself out yet. Last year I made the undergrad cutoff but didn't make the cut for the ABS. So after two weeks of getting a rejection from ottawa, I got an email stating that though I didn't make the undergrad process, the graduate policy was applied. So really unless you know you didn't make the undergrad cutoff gpa, you are graduate student and made the graduate cutoff (mentioned multiple times in previous threads including this one) then there is still hope.

Waiting almost done, hang in there!

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

hi Dr. E77 -

if you don't mind me asking, did you make the undergrad cut-off for the grad pool (i.e., 3.5) or the normal pool (3.65 for ottawa/3.83 for IP)?

thanks for "keeping hope alive!" :)

sorry to burst a bubble

but apparently its 3.85 IP this year... sucks

Archived