Premed 101 Forums

grad student quota?

Thanks Dr. E77,

So you weren't asked to submit a grad package? I was almost certain grad packages were a requirement for getting an interview. It seems pretty rare for that to have happened. I have my fingers crossed, thanks again.

Hanging in.

ckim01

Hi Ckim01,

Don't count yourself out yet. Last year I made the undergrad cutoff but didn't make the cut for the ABS. So after two weeks of getting a rejection from ottawa, I got an email stating that though I didn't make the undergrad process, the graduate policy was applied. So really unless you know you didn't make the undergrad cutoff gpa, you are graduate student and made the graduate cutoff (mentioned multiple times in previous threads including this one) then there is still hope.

Waiting almost done, hang in there!

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

Fvck, rejected. I guess I missed the part about 1 year masters not being eligible for the grad review policy. I was 0.02-0.03 off from the undergrad cut. I was told in the rejection letter that I was ineligible for the grad review, and they will not review my application further.

Looks like I'm off to the islands... congrats to all those with invites!

Hi Ckim01,

Don't count yourself out yet. Last year I made the undergrad cutoff but didn't make the cut for the ABS. So after two weeks of getting a rejection from ottawa, I got an email stating that though I didn't make the undergrad process, the graduate policy was applied. So really unless you know you didn't make the undergrad cutoff gpa, you are graduate student and made the graduate cutoff (mentioned multiple times in previous threads including this one) then there is still hope.

Waiting almost done, hang in there!

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

wow that would be sweet! I didnt get my interview because abs wasn't as competitive. i'm so glad there's still hope!

So what do they need as part of this grad package?

there seems to be so many of us w/o grad packs. has anyone received one yet?:confused: im a little worried: i just received the regular rejection w/ nothing referring to my grad studies. what did yours look like dr. e77? here's what i got. its the same thing sent out to ugrad apps.

Thank you for your application to the Doctor of Medicine program of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa. The Admissions Committee will review 3,268 applications this year for the 152 positions available and will interview approximately 550 candidates.

This year, in our admission policies, academic excellence remains the first criterion used by the Admissions Committee for selecting candidates for interviews, followed by an evaluation that takes into consideration the detailed autobiographical sketch.

Your application was carefully reviewed and although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process. This decision is final and cannot be appealed. We are governed by an internal policy which does not allow us to provide feedback on the assessment completed by the Sub-Committee.

________

Honda cbf series specifications

Taken, from the GUIDELINES FOR APPLICATIONS OF GRADUATE STUDENTS

"If the undergraduate grades, once converted on the 4.00 scale meet the standard set for the current application pool, the application will advance to step 3 (Assessment of the detailed autobiographical sketch) in the selection process. If successful following the results of this assessment, the graduate candidate will be invited to an interview and the Graduate Review Policy will not be taken into account. If the application does not advance to the interview based on the results of the detailed autobiographical sketch assessment, the Graduate Review Policy will be applied, insofar as the following criteria are met."

You might want to contact the office to make sure that if you are in the final year of your master's or PhD program and have an A (85 % or more) average to apply the policy as it is written on their website.

Hope this helps

there seems to be so many of us w/o grad packs. has anyone received one yet?:confused: im a little worried: i just received the regular rejection w/ nothing referring to my grad studies. what did yours look like dr. e77? here's what i got. its the same thing sent out to ugrad apps.

Thank you for your application to the Doctor of Medicine program of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa. The Admissions Committee will review 3,268 applications this year for the 152 positions available and will interview approximately 550 candidates.

This year, in our admission policies, academic excellence remains the first criterion used by the Admissions Committee for selecting candidates for interviews, followed by an evaluation that takes into consideration the detailed autobiographical sketch.

Your application was carefully reviewed and although your academic performance did meet the required level, we regret that the evaluation of your detailed autobiographical sketch does not permit your application to advance further in the selection process. This decision is final and cannot be appealed. We are governed by an internal policy which does not allow us to provide feedback on the assessment completed by the Sub-Committee.

Yep, mine looked like that exactly. It didn't mention anything about my grad studies. I believe they'll wait for a week or so until they send out the grad invites (for those who qualify for the grad policy). The grad package will require you put together all your graduate productivity at this point...so posters presentation, abstracts of submitted/accepted manuscripts etc..also a letter from your supervisor supporting that you did do all these things. But clearly unless you have been really productive ie have papers published, the grad policy is a clever way for ottawa to protect themselves. So good luck!

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

hey ointment

when you calculated your grad GPA and turned out to be not enough (3.84 or whatever) and didn't meet their 3.9 requirement (85 +)

how many courses was this based on ?

Hi guys,

The official policies make no mention of a grad GPA cutoff for grad stream consideration. The stipulation is that you have an 85% average in your grad courses. An 85% average could be come about in a number of ways (ie. 70% in one course, 100% in a second; GPA here would be 3.65, but the average is still 85%). Am I missing something?

"5. Have maintained an average grade of A (85%) or more (final mark) in their graduate courses."

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/admissions/Legacy/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

Hi guys,

The official policies make no mention of a grad GPA cutoff for grad stream consideration. The stipulation is that you have an 85% average in your grad courses. An 85% average could be come about in a number of ways (ie. 70% in one course, 100% in a second; GPA here would be 3.65, but the average is still 85%). Am I missing something?

"5. Have maintained an average grade of A (85%) or more (final mark) in their graduate courses."

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/admissions/Legacy/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

hey guys,

it is pretty unfortunate that the process is the way that it is and a lot of AMAZING candidates slip through the cracks.

i'm actually quite confused by the whole grad policy, so i may be wrong about this one, but i have been told by someone who applied last year as a grad student (and did not get an interview) that you have to get a 85% in EACH grad course taken. So for most thesis-based programs, since the requirement is 1 full credit, you have to get 85% in both 0.5 credit courses in order to pass this stipulation.

hey guys,

it is pretty unfortunate that the process is the way that it is and a lot of AMAZING candidates slip through the cracks.

i'm actually quite confused by the whole grad policy, so i may be wrong about this one, but i have been told by someone who applied last year as a grad student (and did not get an interview) that you have to get a 85% in EACH grad course taken. So for most thesis-based programs, since the requirement is 1 full credit, you have to get 85% in both 0.5 credit courses in order to pass this stipulation.

Hmmm, well I only know what's written in their policies, and how it comes across to me is an overall 85% average across all of the courses taken. I could easily be wrong, though.

I did get an invitation to submit a grad package, but I can't shed any light on this with my stats, as I have 85+ in both of the grad level courses for which I have final grades.

I completely agree with your point, though - this process leaves far too many deserving candidates out in cold at the end of the day...

Actually its not 85+ in each course but an AVERAGE of 85% and up.

I had 3 courses and I received an 81 in one of them but my average is 85+ and I have been invited (just barely) to submit a graduate package.

hope this helps

does your transcript have the marks as percentages? Mine only has letter grades, and I'm guessing that's what screwed me!

What about course-based masters programs? My roommate applied this year, and has close to a 90% (percentages), but because he is in a course-based program, they said they could not apply the grad policy and rejected him. what gives? I hope I wont be in the same boat next year ;S

What about course-based masters programs? My roommate applied this year, and has close to a 90% (percentages), but because he is in a course-based program, they said they could not apply the grad policy and rejected him. what gives? I hope I wont be in the same boat next year ;S

i know i'm just feeling sorry for myself, but at this point, it feels like they'll use any excuse to reject me!

i feel like i did in middle school... when the hot guys would always ignore me :(

oh i'm not sure how it works with letter grades. My univ gives out numerical scores.

As for the course based/thesis thing, ottawa looks at course-based masters differently from thesis based masters. Course-based grades count as one of your years for undergrad wGPA and for thesis based, just gives you a second chance if you don't meet the cutoff.

Course-based grades count as one of your years for undergrad wGPA

I take it this is AFTER you've completed the full year of course-based full load correct?

also they want 8 semester long courses (4 full year courses) in the one year of course-based... by one year do they mean sept - april or sept - august ?? anybody know?

thanks so much guys

Archived