Premed 101 Forums

60% of courseload in corresponding year

Hi, I was wondering about western's policy on having 60% of the courseload in the corresponding year. I switched programs and in my third year half my courses were third and half were second. Also for my fourth year I only have 1 /5 courses at the fourth level. This was just because my uni doesn't offer that may 4th year courses in my program. I was just wondering if anyone knows if that would affect my application. Thanks

I had sort of the same problem last year (50% 2nd year courses in 3rd year) because I was doing a minor and couldn't fit all my courses in at the proper year level, but I took all 4th year courses in 4th year. I was really worried about it and e-mailed Darla McNeil (the admissions person) explaining my situation. She said it wouldn't be a problem and I ended up getting an interview. U of T says the same thing and I got in there so I'm not sure they're all that strict about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing a minor in my fourth year, and I'll be taking mostly 300 level courses to complete it because those are the only ones offered for this particular program.

I'll only have one 400 level full course (two half courses) and one 500 level half course, and then seven 300 levels.

Would this year still count as corresponding to the year of study? Especially if my 3rd year had a bunch of 400 level year courses in it? Minors really make things confusing. :cool:

Hey guys,

Im a 2nd year western student, and had a few questions regarding this "60% of courseload in current year."

So next year I will be in my 3rd year, but since I took mainly science courses this year (im a psych student - i needed to fulfill orgo, cell bio, biochem etc etc) I will be taking roughly 50% 200 level courses, and 50% 300 level courses next year. Will these 200 level courses not fulfill this "60% of courseload in current year" requirement? If not, I dont see how I can overcome this without taking summer courses - which seems ridiculous since I am not "behind" in terms of credits.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks guys.

Despite what the website says, they don't seem to worry about it that much. I have an interview there this year and I had 4.5 200 levels in 3rd year, and 3.5 200 and 300 levels in 4th year, so I was below 60% for both. I did send them a note explaining why - it was partly the same reason as you and partly just that my program is a little unusual in terms of structure and how they label courses.

Like UofT, Western sets this 'requirement' to ensure that you're following and progressing in a program and not just taking random courses for whatever reason. That being said, and also like UofT, if you have an odd looking course selection and can give a valid reason for doing so (minor's etc.) then they'll waive it.

Yea, I would say its fine. I had 2.5 credits at the 200 level and 2.5 at the 300 level and I still got an interview this year. They are not strict with this policy at all, I think it is in place just to prevent individuals from taking all easy courses. If you have to complete a minor or double major and require more 200 levels, its fine

Archived