Premed 101 Forums

Best international schools for coming back to Canada

Guest Mike84

Hi all,

This is site is great.

There is a lot of information on here about IMGs in general, but where exactly can I found out some official information about coming back to Canada to practice medicine?

I've heard that Australian schools allow you to come back for residency in Canada...is this true? In fact, I've heard that getting a family medicine residency is not impossible if you're a Canadian (citizen) IMG who has graduated from an Irish or Australian medical school. Also, what exams do you have to write (or are you exempt from these if you get a residency position).

I've had a look at the CARMs web site and I noticed that the match rate for IMGs last year was 13-14%...which is very low. I wonder how many of these IMGs are from Irish or Australian schools.

I know a few people who have gone to Ireland and Australia for med school after being unable to gain acceptance here...they have told me that an FM residency will not be too difficult to acquire in Canada after they graduate.

Could someone clarify this information, or direct me to where I could find some answers? Thanks. :) :)

• 5 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448660</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Best international schools for coming back to Canada</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<dateline>1118448660</dateline>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

• 3 months later...
Guest spyder133

Hi,

I just read your post and its a fantastic question! Did you get an answer? Im currently in Australia right now and in the process of applying to schools at home in Canada, but its all up in the air. But Im seriously considering the schools here since Ive had a fantastic time in the country, I would consider living here but the possibility of coming home to practice would make this decision easier. Could you let me know what you have found out? The responses are missing!

Guest Gavanshir

I'm not completely sure but I believe that no matter which foreign school you graduated from, once in Canada, you will be placed into the IMG pool. And you know the rest of the stats regarding IMGs in Canada..

• 2 months later...
Guest matsqui

I graduated from an Aussie med school (2004) and I'm currently in a residency program (Ob/Gyn) in Canada. It's absolutely possible to get a residency position in Canada as an IMG, especially if you've done electives/rotations in Canada during med school. There's almost always spots left over in FP (although not in the most favourable locations) and if your lucky, some of the specialty programs. There were 2 gen surg residencies left over last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived