Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone get an interview below the wGPA cut-off?

Hi everyone,

I will be applying to Ottawa next year and was wondering whether they make any exceptions to the wGPA cut-off- i.e. do undergrads in the 3.8 range (but below the cut-off) with stellar research productivity and Ottawa family ties+ past Ottawa residency get invites?

Much thanks

I dont mean to rude, but I would like to point out again that a cut off is called that way because if you don't meet it, you wont continue advancing in their selection process. Therefore, if their cut off is 3.85/4.00 and you have a 3.84/4.00. don't waste your time and money to apply cause you will get refused.

That was my 2 cents!!

Medshopeful

I dont mean to rude, but I would like to point out again that a cut off is called that way because if you don't meet it, you wont continue advancing in their selection process. Therefore, if their cut off is 3.85/4.00 and you have a 3.84/4.00. don't waste your time and money to apply cause you will get refused.

That was my 2 cents!!

Medshopeful

I wouldn't say that. You never know what the cut off is going to be year to year for undergrads, it changes. Next, be sure to take into account where you sit in terms of demographic. If you live in the Ottawa-Carleton region, are native, part of the Military, or French etc. how they consider you is different than someone who has none of those qualities. If you're a grad student the cut off is set, so you can decide ahead of time wheather or not you're going to apply as a grad student.

Telling someone not to apply is a dirty underhanded trick to thin out the competition =P

Telling someone not to apply is a dirty underhanded trick to thin out the competition =P

Not really. The more people who apply with low GPAs, the weaker the overall competition. Thus, it would be better for those with decent GPAs if a lot of low GPAs applied.

I agree with medshopeful. People spread the filth that "you never know what can happen" all too easily. Sure, technically GPA cutoffs can go down. But I've never heard of a case where a GPA cutoff actually decreased. I can understand if you're 0.01 off the cut that you might have a slight chance, but if you're 0.05 off, then I don't think there's any hope.

Not really. The more people who apply with low GPAs, the weaker the overall competition. Thus, it would be better for those with decent GPAs if a lot of low GPAs applied.

This would only be true if med schools admitted a certain % of applicants, instead of a certain no. of people (the actual situation). I'm pretty sure that the decision of people with lower GPAs to apply will not change anything about the decision of people with higher GPAs. You will still have the same number of qualified applicants. The med school will admit the top x no. of applicants, regardless of the total. If you add less qualified aplicants to the list, it changes nothing to who the top x no. are. So if more people apply, your chances of being admitted either go down or stay the same, they can't go up (unless fewer qualified people apply).

Archived