Premed 101 Forums

Invites Out!

I think others have said we get to choose...first week of april is most ideal for me haha

yeah last year they send you an email with a link, a login and password, and they said that on a certain date at a certain time, the system would open up for you to book your interview slot (day and time). You can login to the system before the time to start booking (which they recommend to make sure it works for you), but the actual booking thing inside it won't open up until that certain time.

oh yeah, also if you think you met the cutoffs but didn't get the pre-invite email, i'd recommend emailing them at the address given above. I did, stated my reason (same thing happened last year) and they said thanks, they'll review my application and let me know by the end of the week.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the UWO system of rejection to be confounding - they send us a rejection email saying that if we met the cutoffs (as specified in the email) it's our responsibility to contact them to arrange an interview. So why bother using cutoffs? Why would one not get an interview if one does meet the cutoffs? Why would they then want us all emailing them saying we made the cutoffs, but didn't get interviews, and then scrambling to accommodate us all...

I just haven't run into any other Canadian med schools that do it this way and I don't see what the benefits of this system are...

I find the UWO system of rejection to be confounding - they send us a rejection email saying that if we met the cutoffs (as specified in the email) it's our responsibility to contact them to arrange an interview. So why bother using cutoffs? Why would one not get an interview if one does meet the cutoffs? Why would they then want us all emailing them saying we made the cutoffs, but didn't get interviews, and then scrambling to accommodate us all...

I just haven't run into any other Canadian med schools that do it this way and I don't see what the benefits of this system are...

what???

I didn't apply to western this year... but that seems ABSURD!!!

you made the cuts and they told you you shoulda contacted them if you wanted interview?

what???

I didn't apply to western this year... but that seems ABSURD!!!

you made the cuts and they told you you shoulda contacted them if you wanted interview?

Yeah that happened to me last year...I think they want you to e-mail them back if you think you made the cuts to make sure they didn't make some technical error. They denied me an interview I think because it may not have been clear either on my app or my transcript that I was doing a "special year" (Therefore I only had 1 year over the 3.7 cut). I think they assumed my extra year was part of another degree, so I had to e-mail them back clarifying that, then they granted me an interview.

Guest begaster

No, no. It's not the standard, it's just there in case of mistakes. If you did meet the cutoffs but didn't get an invite, due to error on their part.

I think most ppl do have 60% of the courseload in their corresponding year. But I switched programs after 1st year and in my 3rd year I only had 50%. Also in my current year I only have 20% in 4th year (not really my fault tho, my uni doesn't offer that many 4th year courses for my program). They still granted me an interview, so I don't think its a strict criteria.

The VAST majority of candidates who meet the cut-offs are granted an interview, and similarily the large majority of candidates who fail to meet the cut-offs will be rejected. Occassionally (we're talking a few AT MOST every application cycle) there are people who meet the cutoffs and don't get an interview for some reason i.e. taking a special year, OMSAS didn't have the most updated grades, etc etc). That is why there is a fail-safe system in place.

Archived