Premed 101 Forums

Invites Out!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did anyone who made the cutoffs not get an invite??? :(

No I made the cutoffs....BUT I'm definitely not an 'honours' student. I did a straight up Bio degree... and the only requirement to have "honours equivalency" AKA to be eligible for a M.Sc at my university was to have a 3.0 GPA (actually lower than what is required to apply to most med schools!!)

So is it just me... or who else doesn't get the whole 'honours requirement' thing? Who is it cutting out exactly?

No I made the cutoffs....BUT I'm definitely not an 'honours' student. I did a straight up Bio degree... and the only requirement to have "honours equivalency" AKA to be eligible for a M.Sc at my university was to have a 3.0 GPA (actually lower than what is required to apply to most med schools!!)

So is it just me... or who else doesn't get the whole 'honours requirement' thing? Who is it cutting out exactly?

I think that by honours they mean that your degree has to make u eligible to apply to grad school

At Western and Queen's, Honours just means that you've done a four-year degree that would qualify you to enter a grad program (and pretty much every four-year degree does that), so I don't think there's anything to worry about as long as you've done fourth year or are in the process of finishing it.

Hi Bruns,

From the website "We will be notifying current applicants about interviews in mid-February. If you have met these minimums but did not receive an invitation for interview, contact Schulich Medicine as soon as possible. Please include your OMSAS number in any correspondence (2008-8xxxxx)."

I am in the same situation and I just emailed them.

At Western you can do a normal 4 year degree (a "Specialization") OR you can do a 4 year Honours degree (an "Honours Specialization"...prep for Grad School). The difference is in the required courses you must take for your specific program. Honours typically requires a larger number of specific courses in order to obtain your degree...as well as (the sometimes optional depending on the department) thesis project.

In conclusion, all 4 year degrees are not Honours. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Sydney! Now that I think about it again, I had a vague idea that there was still an option of doing a non-Honours four-year at Western (there isn't at Queen's), but I didn't think it was at all common for people to take it. My sample is likely quite skewed, though, since it consists solely of friends. ;)

Basically, if you can go to most grad schools with whatever program you've done, you should be fine. You don't need to have done a thesis. The course levels don't seem to matter all that much, either - I've done an Honours program with practically no 400-level courses and they didn't mind.

Good luck sorting things out for those who met the cut-offs but haven't heard yet!

I don't think so...a very small proportion of people actually do honors research projects. They're quite time consuming and many people opt not to do them.

Sorry everyone. I did misinterpret the question. I thought the previous poster was referring to a honours specialization in something vs. double major, major/minor, etc.

Once again sorry and best of luck to all those who received interviews:)

Really late to this (haven't been checking the inbox as diligently)...

but WOOHOO

I really love their last line: "CONGRATULATIONS."

I wonder if we can schedule our own date. For sure I can't make the first week of April...

I think others have said we get to choose...first week of april is most ideal for me haha

is there a billeting situation, and if so, is it recommended to do so? like will you simply be saving money, or are the students you stay with generally helpful in tips and info about the school?

Yeah I was wondering about this too. I imagine it might be worth spending the money and staying in a hotel to ensure that I have a good night's sleep the night before.

Yeah I was wondering about this too. I imagine it might be worth spending the money and staying in a hotel to ensure that I have a good night's sleep the night before.

ya, i completely agree, i wouldnt be doing it to save money, i would only want to do it if i could get any insight, otherwise the good night sleep is def worth it...

i guess it probably depends on the students you get roomed with, aka pure luck...may not be worth the gamble.

On that note, where is there to stay thats close to western?

Archived