Premed 101 Forums

IP numbers

Panama

here is the link with the number of places by school

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25379

I went to the ROSS Un med school presentation last week, they presented a film w/th the same data. In addition, they said that the # of appnts increased slightly this year in most provinces. In general, the chance of getting an interview in McGill is about 249/172. 172 - total # of spots for 2008 entry and 249, probably,was the # of IP applicants.

Hope this helps.

s.

why did you multiply by 2? Does McGill classicly invite twice as many applicants for the # of spots?

Yeah it was an arbitrarily chosen number but from the people I know in med and who have been through this for the past 2-3 years it seems that McGill invites about 2x the number of IP spots. The number can vary (usually a tad higher I think!) but 2x is a good estimate.

If 75 is the number of IP spots, and 249 is the number of IP applicants, we probably have about a:

(75 x 2) / 249 =~ 60% chance of an interview (3 out of 5).

Hi guys!

I would say that math could look like that:

172(today)-150(from previous year) = 22 spots were added

2-3 spots could go for Intnl appctns + OOP

19 spots are divided btw two group, roughly 45% x55% (CEGEP x Un grads)

So, for the Un grads it would be equal to... 9 additional spots (?), including MD/MBA and MD/PhD, so it comes to ~ 6-7

Last year there were ~180 applications from ROQ for ~140 MD/CM spots.

BUt! those who applied for MD/MBA and MD/PhD and were not qualified are now in the same pool with MD/CM, so, actual proportion is close to

~220-230 (some Intl and OOP would participate in other pool, so, I aproximated smth like "minus 20-30") applcnts for 140 Md/CM places

So, we had 230/140 =~60% chance last year

Today we have 6 more places, roughly ~146 spots and 249 IP applicants (not sure if all of them are applying for MD/CM, let's say everyone does):

146/249 = ~58.6% chance is almost the same, or 3/5

Not that bad, guys!

It looks like most of us could potentially get an interview even if they interview 1.5x people (= ~219, i.e. 30-40 applicants will be rejected pre-interview)

these are my two cents, correct me please.

Good luck to everyone!

The 146 spots for IP applicants includes the MED-P program, which has about 80 seats.

Anyways, good luck everyone and hopefully we get some good news this week!

Yuuup.

But how does it work for Pre-meds? Is there any attrition? If those 80 seats are guaranteed, the picture is not that bright :(

(146-80)/249= 0.265 --> ~25% or 1/4 :eek:

Ouch...

Yuuup.

But how does it work for Pre-meds? Is there any attrition? If those 80 seats are guaranteed, the picture is not that bright :(

Ouch...

thats a 25% chance of being accepted (pre interview)...if you make the interview, your chances of acceptance are more like 55-60%...i like them odds...

Yuuup.

Ouch...

the 80 pre-meds are basically garanteed their seat as long as they maintain certain grades. I think maybe one a year does not make it.

Wasn't "249 IP applicants" just referring to the QC residents who were applying with Bachelors Degrees? (No CEGEP, and no Pre-med)

Should be, cause the average annual # of Qc Med-P applicants exceeds ~350 for 80 spots:

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/criteria/selection_categories_en.htm

Obviously there are many more ROQ med-P apps than MD/CM apps

Archived