Premed 101 Forums

Matching in foreign countries

US and Canadian systems are totally different from that of the British Commonwealth. In the UK, students enter medicine after their A levels, which is taken at the end of secondary education. I believe they also have their own standardize tests equivalent to the MCAT. Australia should be similar but I don't know a whole lot about their system.

Undergraduate grades are a big deal, especially here in Canada and the US. The Americans put more weight on the MCAT so your odds might be better over there but whether this would overshadow a mediocre GPA is uncertain. If your grades shows an upward trend then you might have a chance otherwise, I'm afraid the odds are against you. If you don't have A levels or the IB, then the only academic indicator that the British institutions could use is probably your undergrad GPA. You could do a 2nd undergrad degree, which is possible here in Canada but not the US. If you do a good job, i presume your chances should improve.

As far as matching is concerned, they don't really "match" students to hospitals. Instead medicine is 7 years in length which includes 2 years of premedical education, 3 years of medical education and 2 years of "housemanship" (equivalent to clerkship) or a variant thereof. Further training is required for surgical specialties but you may practice FP upon passing your degree and getting your licence.

Archived