Premed 101 Forums

Toronto - Ottawa same day commuting

Hi,

Can't think of any specific hotels. But just wanted to let you know that Ottawa is not that big of a place and getting from one end to the other isn`t like getting from one end of TO to the other. You could pretty much stay anywhere and it wouldn`t be too hard to get to RGN.

So you could even stay downtown and check out the Market or Parliament while you are here and it would be like 20 min to RGN.

You could check out B&Bs also...often cheaper than hotels

There aren't many hotels around the U of O medschool. It's not near the downtown ottawa u campus. But like it has been mentioned, the city of ottawa public transportation is very good, or if you have a car the drive is approximately 10 minutes. I suggest staying at a downtown hotel, and stay for the weekend if possible. The market is really nice, and if you get the chance check out the new war museum. It's amazing.

I don't know of any hotels specifically, but you don't really need to stay somewhere close to the hospital. If you stay downtown, it's easy to get to RGN (Roger Guindon Hall). It takes around 20min to get to RGN from downtown. If you take the bus, the fare is $3.00 (one trip), and you can ask the driver to announce when you get to the Rehab Centre (which is right beside RGN, and there are always students getting off at that stop and coming in/out of RGN, so it's easy to find). Or you can take a cab (less stressful than taking a strange bus in a strange city, hehe). Or you can take the campus shuttle to RGN if you're on/close to campus.

If you decide to bus there, you can check out this website to plan your trip (and return trip). It gives you times and walking directions.

http://www.octranspo.com/Intro_Trip_Planner.htm

Just fill in your starting location (e.g. address of your hotel), type in "451 Smyth RD" for destination, and when you need to arrive. Very straight forward and not scary at all!

I personally don't recommend taking the OC transpo (the public transportation system) to get to your interview. The system is actually not very good (I'm comparing it to the TTC in Toronto) and generally the wait for busses is verrrrrry loooooooong. And God forbid there's a snowfall! You'll be waiting for a ridiculously long period of time. It's very unreliable, in my opinion. I'd take a cab to the actual interview.

If I were you, I'd stay at the Chateau Laurier the night before and cab it to RGN the next day.

I can just imagine the dent that would make in a poor student's budget. Hotels tend to be cheaper in Hull, if you are still considering finding one downtown and will have a car to drive to your interview.

Archived