Premed 101 Forums

MMI and prompt questions

Hi,

I just did my first MMI at U of C this past weekend, and felt it went fairly well, but I definately think I can improve!

My questions is (if anyone can answer this)...is it a really bad sign if your interviewer has to ask you all the prompt questions?? I think at all my stations they did (except for one). A couple of my friends said that the interviewers told them they covered all the prompt questions already, and didn't have to ask them.

Just wondering what other people think/what their experiences have been.

Thanks!

I interviewed at Dal and I this is just my opinion obviously, but I liked when they got through the prompts for me! It kind of helped focus your thinking, and I almost feel it would be more beneficial to have heard them than not. I just think this because if other people had them and you didn't, they might have gotten more into their answer....

This is just my opinion, but your point is something I never thought of! Should be interesting to hear what people have to say!

I just finished interviewing at UofC on Feb 23rd...for my questions, it was tough for me to incorporate personal experiences into my answers, I was able to do so at one station only.

How did you guys feel about it? Were you able to talk about personal experiences in your scenarios? Or was I one of the few not able to/or didn't?

Yeah, I totally agree with everyone! I think I was able to add some personal experience to about 3 or 4 stations. Having more time to think about it, I definately think I could of done a little better, but oh well.

I think for some of them, they were so specific that you couldn't add personal experience to them (without sounding fake).

I went through the MMI at Dal, and managed to fit in "personal experiences/anecdotes", for all but two. It was pure luck, and my academic and employment background is all over the place so it isn't surprising that for many of the stations, I could draw on previous experience. BUT, i do not think it makes even a bit of difference whether or not you did this. It isn't like a traditional interview where you are selling yourself, and trying to get just two people to make a recommendation about your suitablity for medicine. The MMI is designed to evaluate completely different attributes, qualities and capabilities, which can be more than accurately demonstrated without delving into your previous experiences... that's just how i see it though.

As for the OP. I had to use all of the prompts at all of the stations too. I am a little nervous too that this is a bad sign, but not going to worry about it now since it can't be changed. It's nice to hear though, that other people also relied on the prompts.

A couple of my friends said that the interviewers told them they covered all the prompt questions already, and didn't have to ask them.

What did they do when the interviewee has answered all of the prompt questions already and there's still time left? Just sit there?

I had one interviewer who just sat there and actually started writing about how I did while I was still in the room! It was really awkward, but apparently that question was way short for everyone.

For another couple, the interviewers were nice and asked me if I had any questions, and we chatted a bit!

I've been told that if there is extra time we are just expected to sit and twiddle our thumbs - apparently they aren't supposed to talk to you about anything other than the specific question at that station, so that they are as unbiased as possible when marking you

Sounds like only one of my interviewers got it right LOL...it was so weird and awkward!

I've been told that if there is extra time we are just expected to sit and twiddle our thumbs - apparently they aren't supposed to talk to you about anything other than the specific question at that station, so that they are as unbiased as possible when marking you

I've heard mixed opinions about this - isn't it awkward when you're both sitting there in silence?

It was a little awkward at first, but it was nice to be in silence and not feel pressured to make small talk. Only one tried to kind of make small talk with me, but then quickly stopped herself by saying, "Oh no, I shouldn't be talking to you, but I really want to!"

Sometimes I sat for a bit, then started talking about my answers if a new idea popped into my head, or if I felt I needed to conlcude something.

LOL I can totally see myself sitting there and trying to make small talk to fill up time...I hope the questions I get need super long answers!

This happened to me at me second station, at which point I didn't know about the policy...

Me: Well, that's all I have to say... unless you have any other questions for me?

Interviewer: No, that'll do I think.

Me: Oh ok........ so...... are you a physician?

Interviewer: <silence, with me looking at her confusedly>

Me: *cough*

Interviewer: <cringes> Not... really... supposed... to talk....

Me: Oh wow... oh, I didn't realize that... I'm sorry...

Interviewer: <looks at me, as if thinking - then WHY are you still talking?>

Thankfully a few seconds later we got prompted to move on to the next room... but yikes

How do you guys know if they used up all of the prompt questions? They probably have A LOT of questions to ask. Maybe they just felt that you had already covered all of the important issues...which is a good sign!!

For me (at Dal), I didn't have any time at the end of my stations. I kind of rambled for a while, and some of them asked me one or two follow-up questions. Looking back at the experience, though, I don't feel like I did so well. I think I repeated myself a lot, and I can think of a lot of great things I could have said that I forgot to say while I was in there. Nothing I can do about it now! I guess it is always like that in an interview, though...could have said this, should have done that, etc.

What an interesting topic!

I interviewed at NOSM last year, and we did talk afterwards -- since I was warned they probably can't say much, we just chatted about the weather.

I also interviewed at University of Sydney (Australia) where (FYI they have based their methods on McMaster University's interviewing style) we went through all the prompt questions -- that's how we filled in the time. AFter that we would just quickly chat about MY accent...!! I got in so I guess the chatting was okay.

I think the key is to look cool even if you think the silence is weird. I truly believe rambling on after you have said your piece can be detrimental.

How do you guys know if they used up all of the prompt questions?

They made it pretty clear in mine, they were like "ok, do you have any further comments or questions?" and they were pretty much reading the prompts off their sheet also.

I had one interviewer who was SO NICE, after everything I said he was like "Oh, Absolutely!" and I'm pretty sure he did it to absolutely everyone, it was good because it made you feel at ease and like you were on the right track, rather than lost and without feedback. Who knows if he really meant it? LOL

Archived