Premed 101 Forums

whats the diff btw "why would you be a good doc" and "what can you offer"?

Vallinar

I think "What can you offer" is like asking "What are your strengths?"

while "Why would you be a good doc" is more "Apply your strengths directly to medicine." in terms of a response. Would you expect both of these to be asked as separate stations? Or with one as a follow-up to the other (near-interchangeably)

My 2 cents

I agree with its_a_conspiracy. "What you have to offer" is asking what makes you unique; what you believe separates you from the large pool of applicants who don't have 'what it takes' to get into that medical school (speaking theoretically...not saying that being rejected means you're deficient, I'm speaking in interview language hehe).

Basically, why you'd be an asset to their program. Why they should want you in their program. It's quite different in my opinion from "why you'd be a good doctor". Being hard working, honest, intelligent, and compassionate might make you a good doctor, but it won't separate you from the large pack of hard working, honest, intelligent and compassionate applicants they're interviewing!

For "what you can offer", discuss your personal and unique strengths. For example, if you are a competitive athlete, talk about how you have developed your discipline and how it has led you to whatever accolades you've won. Things like that.

Archived