Premed 101 Forums

Adcom Members

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but who are the members of the admissions committee at UBC? I'm guessing they're similar to those chosen for interviewers: faculty members, community members, practicing doctors, maybe even medical students?

So I also imagine that those on the adcom are not also interviewers for the same session, since it may add an extra factor to the results for particular candidates instead of them going through the 'standard' procedure? If they sit out/in another member of the adcom then it would also add another layer of variability to the decision!

Do they sit around and have the interviewers and people who come up with the NAQ scores discuss the applicant with the adcom? Does the decision need to be unanimous among the adcom? How many adcom members are there? What if the adcom wrote a reference letter for one of the applicants, would that be unfair? I'm also assuming the identities of adcom members (except for maybe the Dean of Admissions or maybe Dean of Medicine) are confidential?

Way too many questions!! If you search the thread this has been speculated upon many times before...short story there are lots of people with different backgrounds on the committee. Nobody knows how the actual selection process works but it is a fair and reasonable one. And, of course, conflicts are taken care of well in advance........

Do they sit around and have the interviewers and people who come up with the NAQ scores discuss the applicant with the adcom?

You're assuming that the person who interviewed you, and about 50 other candidates, that weekend remembers you so vividly two months later that he or she can have this discussion!

Archived