Premed 101 Forums

Underserviced Category - WGPA

I was just curious if anyone who has upcoming, or has had, interviews this year in the underserviced category (from Northern Ontario) would share what their WGPA is. I understand that the WGPA cut-off for underserviced applicants is 3.6 or 3.65 this year, but am unclear what happens after you meet this cut-off. Does everyone who meets this cut-off go to the second round of screening, which is the sketch? (ie - someone with a 3.6 and someone with a 4.0 both have equal opportunity to get an interview b/c they meet the cut-off?) I'm asking b/c I have a 3.78 and am not sure how this compares to other underserviced applicants, or if this is competitive enough in the underserviced category to get an interview. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

I think you've mixed up Northern with Ottawa U. If you're a native american from rural ontario then you may be put in a different group and have a lower wgpa cut off. But that's because you're native, not because you're rural. If you read the OMSAS outline for ottawa u, rural doesn't give you any advantage in comparison to "non-ottawa" ontario.

the 3.6-3.65 wgpa you quoted is for undergraduate ottawa residents.

If you're not from ottawa, you're demographic is not french or native, and you're not part of the military the cut off quoted this year is 3.87. If you are in fact part of any of those groups I just mentioned your wgpa cut off will be lower.

I'm certainly not confusing NOSM for Ottawa. Students who apply from underserviced areas (which by Ottawa's definition is Northern Ontario I believe) have a lower min wgpa, which is not specifically indicated on the website, but is believed to be around 3.6-3.65. You are right in that Ottawa applicants have a lowered wgpa min as well. On that note, how are applicants scored once they meet this cutoff? Do they automatically have their sketches screened once they meet the cutoff? Do applicants who just meet the cutoff with a 3.6 have an equal opportunity to receive an interview as someone with a 4.0, assuming their sketched are identical?

Does anyone else have any information on underserviced applicants? Is there anyone out there who got an interview from Northern Ontario.. would you be able to share with us what your wgpa is? Or, are there any current students from underserviced areas that would like to share their knowledge and wgpa?

Thx.

If you email U of O and tell them where you are from, they will specifically confirm if your area of residence is considered underserviced. I am not sure how they determine what areas are underserviced...but I do know it does not correspond with areas that the ministry of health considers underserviced. If you are from Northern ON then probably a good chance...but I'd email just to be sure.

Also, they will be able to confirm the cut-off

Not sure anyone here will be able to answer your question. Meeting the min cut-off means you will proceed to the next step of the application...sketch review and review of LORs. I don`t think Ottawa has ever specified how each then is weighted in determining who gets an interview.

If you meet the cut-off (or think you will) just apply. You will never know if you will get an interview or not unless you submit your application.

Archived