Premed 101 Forums

sick during your interview?

Hey guys,

I'm scheduled to interview at Ottawa this friday afternoon but I've been sick (fever, cough) for the past couple of days. I called in and there's no way for me to change my interview date this late so I guess really, all I can do is to hope for the best!

I'm just wondering, has anybody had experience interviewing when you're sick? care to share your experiences?

I really hope I get better by friday but if I don't, I'm wondering how badly it will look if say, I need to cough or to blow my nose a few times during my interview.

Are you serious ...

Why on earth would they care if you have to blow your nose or cough.

Doctors are still human beings. Plus ... I think if you ace that interview

despite your sickly ways, wouldn't they be even more impressed.

Don't sweat over things like this, you'll get so caught up on how you look

and not what you say.

Rest well and best of luck with your interview:)

First, get lots of sleep before your interview!

Bring Kleenex, Purell...whatever you may need during your interview.

There is always a pitcher of water in case you have a scratchy throat!

If you are still sick by then...just explain that you are sick. You aren`t going to be docked for being sick!

I was sick with a cold during my med school interview.. took cold medicine to keep from having to blow my nose during the interview. I might not have been as peppy (but then again, it's always hard at 9 in the morning!), but I don't think it affected the quality of my answers at all. Friday's still a couple of days away, so hopefully you are back to normal by then, but if not, just explain yourself, and excuse yourself from shaking hands if necessary.. and do your best! If you are well prepared, being sick shouldn't be a problem, might even win you sympathy points.

yeah i was gonna say sympathy points all the way!! (but then again, i'm sure you'd prefer to be in good health than get sympathy points). Take it in a positive light, I'm sure your being sick won't affect your interviewers' opinions of you.

hello there

i wish the best luck for the people who are going through the interview process.. regarding the sickness on the interview date, i still remember my interview date 2 yrs ago ...i was so sick which held me in ER till 3 hours before the interview .... i was told i may pass out any mint if i come out of IV.. and i still made it and tried to enjoy the experience as it was ..also , i did not even mentioned i was sick since i did not want them to feel sorry for me and make it a big deal.. so having cold and have fever... i think you be more than fine.. just do your best and hopefully you be fine ...

Good luck

Meds 2010

Archived