Premed 101 Forums

Already Interviewed 2008

Hey, how goes it everyone!? Quite the stressful period eh.

Congrats everyone for being invited to the interview, this is our time to

shine!

I would like to ask those who have already had their interview ( french or english ) to share their experience. We will certainly appreciate any tips / advice / comments.

Thanks in advance,

CHEERS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ironic that we want to be physicians to help people.

for caribbean med school forums, people help each other out and create this supportive atmosphere.

i have had a couple of people who have messaged me personally and shared generously their experience and tips. i here thank them and would like to ask others to pitch in as well.

That's a good point.

How about you decline your interview invitation so that someone else can have a better chance at getting in? Don't you want to 'help' that special someone?

for caribbean med school forums, people help each other out and create this supportive atmosphere.

i have had a couple of people who have messaged me personally and shared generously their experience and tips. i here thank them and would like to ask others to pitch in as well.

Is it worth sacrificing your integrity for? Ottawa's e-mail mentioned a confidentiality agreement as regards the interview; "shared generously" but unethically maybe. It's got nothing to do with not wanting to help you out, but if you're going to sign your name to something, you better be prepared to stand by it. Pretty ironic, huh?

Is it worth sacrificing your integrity for? Ottawa's e-mail mentioned a confidentiality agreement as regards the interview; "shared generously" but unethically maybe. It's got nothing to do with not wanting to help you out, but if you're going to sign your name to something, you better be prepared to stand by it. Pretty ironic, huh?

i asked people to share their experience.

You have to sign a confidentiality agreement as people mentioned, so don't expect to hear any specific questions. The reason they make you sign such an agreement is for things like this post - all interviewees should be walking in with the same set of information regardless of whether they were interviewed on the first day (like myself), or the last.

I will add that mine was an awesome, fun, positive experience. Relax and be yourself; if you truly want to be a physician, it will come across.

My interviewers were acting, or trying to. They tried to come across as incredibly friendly with a certain scent of fakeness. Outside the interview room, one of the interviewers I walked with was a completely different person: facial expression, tone of voice and gesticulation. Also, the interview felt like it was a play..as in well rehearsed and had a certain flow to it, even though initially it seemed to be very spontaneous.

I don't know if I am paranoid or not, but having a minor in drama makes everything seem more dramatic than it actually is(also, more fun :o )

Wow, that's weird! I had the sense that my interviewers were genuinely very friendly. I did get the impression that things were a little rehearsed on their end, but that's because it seemed like they had been asking the same questions repeatedly throughout the day.

I have to admit since my interview I've wondered once or twice if the interviewers might have been a little too friendly, but that's probably paranoia (right? :o ). I had a great feeling immediately after the interview, and so I'm trying to stick with that until offers are sent out.

hahaha wouldn't it suck to read this thread and walk into your interview to find that your panel is cold, stone faced, and not very friendly? I got the same positive vibe as the above posters though, and I too left the interview feeling very good about things. Could be an act though (although a welcome one, considering other schools I interviewed at last year had the whole "good cop/bad cop" thing going on). Ah well, less than 2 months to go... hahaha somehow that doesn't sound so bad the second time around...

my interview had the good cop bad cop thing. is there ANY standardization for these interviews????? the bad cop was absolutely TERRIBLE. nothing i said could draw a positive response. the other two seemed to be ok with it. but one was just outright mean.

does this mean bad news??

my interview had the good cop bad cop thing. is there ANY standardization for these interviews????? the bad cop was absolutely TERRIBLE. nothing i said could draw a positive response. the other two seemed to be ok with it. but one was just outright mean.

No not at all - the bad cop would have been the same way with all the other interviewees...

If he was that mean I'm sure you can leave a complaint w/ someone at the faculty.

Three years ago, I may have had the same interviewer! I really felt attacked and antagonized.

But he held a high position in the faculty and has taught me in undergrad and during my grad studies... so what could I say?!?! I kept my mouth shut!

But my friend had the same interviewer as me, and she got in! So don't lose hope!

Three years ago, I may have had the same interviewer! I really felt attacked and antagonized.

But he held a high position in the faculty and has taught me in undergrad and during my grad studies... so what could I say?!?! I kept my mouth shut!

But my friend had the same interviewer as me, and she got in! So don't lose hope!

The bad cop's purpose is to test your ability to handle stressful situations and to see if you can keep your cool, right? Would it be wrong to reason with the bad cop, or should one simply acknowledge their negative comments and move on without making ignoring.

The bad cop's purpose is to test your ability to handle stressful situations and to see if you can keep your cool, right? Would it be wrong to reason with the bad cop, or should one simply acknowledge their negative comments and move on without making ignoring.

im not sure if this answers your question, but the negative remarks are basically almost attacking what you just said so i continued explaining myself

I agree that the "bad cop" role is a type of stress test. But there was no reasoning with this person. Nothing I said was ok, we argued back and forth about something I found really stupid for the biggest part of my interview.

And I couldn't ignore it because you can't just ignore their questions. A few times, I told this person that I agreed with them (when I truly did!) and gave my reasoning but then that wasn't ok either.

It was a horrible interview experience and I still have no insight as to what I should have done (and because two of my interviewers had taught me before, I thought they should have said something, especially one I saw often at my research institute, but they didn't!).

So I really have no advice but to keep your cool and try not to let it get to you if it happens (I was waitlisted, nonetheless). ;)

Archived